Sun. Jan 17th, 2021

Man Utd

News

United and City among 10 Premier League clubs still banned from hosting fans

2 min read

Manchester United and Manchester City are among the 10 Premier League clubs who will still be banned from hosting fans in matches from next week as the government announced the new tier system.

Since March, when the country first went into lockdown, sport has been played behind closed doors.

The government announced that spectators can return – in limited numbers – from December 2 when the England-wide lockdown ends.

In Tier 1 areas – considered medium risk – up to 4,000 supporters will be allowed into stadia, while this number halves in Tier 2 to 2,000 supporters.

In Tier 3 – which Greater Manchester and Lancashire has been placed in – attending live events like this is not allowed at all.

Sign up to the free MEN email newsletter



Get the latest updates from across Greater Manchester direct to your inbox with the free MEN newsletter

You can sign up very simply by following the instructions here

Other premier league clubs, such as Leicester, Aston Villa, Wolves, West Brom, Burnley, Leeds, Newcastle and Sheffield United, are also affected.

Whereas Liverpool and Everton are in Tier 2 as are London clubs Chelsea, Fulham, West Ham, Crystal Palace, Tottenham and Arsenal. Brighton and Southampton will also be able to welcome back supporters.

That would see supporters inside Anfield for the first time since March when Liverpool face Wolves at home in the Premier League on December 5.

Supporters must stick to the guidelines inside grounds. These have not yet been issued.

Gary Neville said: “So some clubs will have fans backing them in home fixtures and others will have empty stadiums with no fans! Unfair competition or not?”

The Premier League said in a statement last week: “Our ambition remains to work with government to increase attendance to more substantial levels.

“Until this can be done, many fans will be unable to attend games and our clubs will continue to operate matches at a financial loss.”

It said it has a “proven track record of achieving high-biosecurity standards and we believe we can play a significant role in the government’s rapid turnaround testing initiative.”

Health Secretary Matt Hancock confirmed the details in a statement to the Commons today, with a further review of the tier ratings to be made on December 16.

Copyright © All rights reserved. | Newsphere by AF themes.