Welcome to Standard Sport’s rolling coverage of the summer transfer window as the speculation ramps up.
The window officially opened in July after the completion of the delayed 2019-2020 Premier League season. Clubs will now be busy tweaking their squads ahead of the new campaign, with the deadline pushed back until October 5.
Manchester United are set to sign Donny van de Beek while working on a deal for Jadon Sancho and – reportedly – Dayot Upamecano, and Tottenham have signed Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Joe Hart and Matt Doherty.
MAN UTD NEWS
Solskjaer reveals he he chose van de Beek
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says Donny van de Beek has ‘all the technical attributes needed’ to excel in his Manchester United team.
The 23-year-old Netherlands international becomes United’s first signing of the summer transfer window, signing a five-year deal at Old Trafford with the option of a further year.
He offers another option in midfield alongside the likes of Bruno Fernandes and Paul Pogba with Solskjaer confident his new recruit has the tools necessary to become a big player for the club.
“Donny has all of the technical attributes needed to perform in this team and has the personality required to succeed at Manchester United,” Solskjaer told the club’s official website.
“His ability to see space, time his movements and read the game will really complement the qualities that we have in midfield and his arrival really strengthens the depth of talent we have in that position.
“Donny’s performances in the Eredivisie and in Europe have been excellent over the last few years and we are all looking forward to working with him.”
MAN UTD NEWS
van de Beek eager to take ‘next step’
Donny van de Beek says Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s vision for the future at Manchester United convinced him to make the move to Old Trafford.
The Netherlands international has become Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s first signing of the summer in a deal worth €39m (£36.4m) plus €5m in add-ons.
He signs a five-year deal at Old Trafford with the option of a further year.
Speaking to United’s official website following confirmation of the move, van de Beek explained he is ready to take the ‘next step’ in his career having been won over Solskjaer’s plans for the club.
“I cannot begin to explain how incredible an opportunity it is to join a club with such an amazing history,” he said.
MAN UTD NEWS
Van de Beek speaks!
Donny van de Beek said: “I cannot begin to explain how incredible an opportunity it is to join a club with such an amazing history.
“I would like to thank everyone at Ajax. I grew up there and I will always have a special bond with the club.
“I am now ready to take the next step in my career and perform at the highest level and there is no higher standard than Manchester United.
“Everyone has told me how amazing the Old Trafford atmosphere is and I am looking forward to experiencing that, once it is safe for the fans to return.
“This team has some of the best midfielders in the world and I know that I can learn from them and also bring my own strengths to the group.
“Having spoken to the manager about his vision for this team, the direction that the club is going in is hugely exciting and I cannot wait to be a part of that.”
Man United confirm van de Beek deal
Manchester United have completed the signing of Donny Van de Beek.
The Netherlands international has become Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s first signing of the summer in a deal worth around £40million.
The Ajax midfielder had been on Real Madrid’s radar before United stepped up their pursuit over the weekend.
Van de Beek is seen as an ideal fit for Solskjaer’s Old Trafford rebuild.
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
The links of Tottenham, West Ham and Newcastle have all been linked with the 28-year-old and Villa boss Dean Smith is hoping to steal a march on potential rival suitors.
Wilson scored seven goals in 35 Premier League games last season. Villa are also closing in on the £16m signing of right-back Matty Cash from Nottingham Forest.
Donny van de Beek’s agent has confirmed Arsenal were among the clubs interested in signing the Manchester United-bound midfielder.
Van de Beek is set to become United’s first signing of the summer transfer window after talks with Ajax progressed quickly over the weekend.
The 23-year-old was also on Real Madrid’s radar with agent Sjaak Swart revealing six sides were interested in a summer move including the Gunners.
“Manchester United is certainly the right choice,” he told Ajax Showtime. “There were more clubs with interest, such as Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus and Arsenal. There were six in total, but it all came to an end because of the coronavirus.”
Swart suggested Real Madrid were close to agreeing a deal for van de Beek earlier this year, a move that fell through when football came to a standstill.
“It was already a regular matter in March that he would go to Madrid, but because of the virus, all of that has been postponed. Clubs have no income, and they could not sell players. Ultimately, Manchester United pushed through, and that is, of course, a very nice club.”
Swart added Arsenal’s interest in the Dutchman was concrete but they were unable to meet Ajax’s valuation, with United understood to be paying £40m to bring him to Old Trafford.
“Yes, they really wanted him,” he added. “But they just couldn’t get the money for a transfer. Even the biggest clubs struggle. Arsenal is a great club, but Manchester United will certainly be an interesting adventure.”
Havertz completes Chelsea medical
Kai Havertz is putting the finishing touches on his £90million move to Chelsea after weeks of negotiations, report Bild.
The 21-year-old has completed a medical and could only be a few days away from officially becoming a Chelsea player.
Chelsea are set to pay an initial club-record fee of £72m, with Havertz agreeing a five-year contract to become Frank Lampard’s seventh summer signing.
Arsenal have admitted defeat in their pursuit of Thomas Partey with Atletico unwilling to negotiate, report AS.
The midfielder has been a target for Mikel Arteta since long before the summer window and has a €50million release clause in his contract.
Arsenal are not prepared to meet that and have reportedly offered Matteo Guendouzi in part-exchange, but it’s €50m or nothing for Atletico.
And Arsenal went for nothing.
Spurs open Lloris contract talks
The World Cup-winning goalkeeper still has two years to run on his existing deal, but the report claims Spurs are keen to tie him down for the rest of his career.
The club have already brought in renewed back-up this summer by signing Joe Hart on a free transfer after Michel Vorm left the club when his contract expired.
Inter not in Kante race
First Lionel Messi, now N’Golo Kante. Inter are not attempting to sign the Chelsea midfielder this summer, the club have confirmed.
The Serie A giants have been repeatedly linked with a move for the World Cup winner but sport director Piero Ausilio insists there is ‘no chance’ of the move happening.
“We’ve never started anything to sign Kanté from Chelsea. No chance. He’s not a target”.
Arsenal ready to sell Bellerin
Arsenal have reluctantly decided to sell Hector Bellerin this summer and are hoping to raise £30m for the defender, reports Football Lonond.
Paris Saint-Germain have made a £25m offer to sign Hector Bellerin, according to The Guardian.
Arsenal need to raise funds to pursue other transfer targets this summer – namely Thomas Partey. Might Mikel Arteta be tempted?
MAN UTD NEWS
ICYMI: Van de Beek to join Man United today
Manchester United are set to wrap up the signing of Ajax’s Donny van de Beek today, according to The Mirror.
Writing on Tuesday night, Jeremy Cross said the deal was expected to be completed in “the next 24 hours” after the 23-year-old passed a medical in his homeland and agreed personal terms on a long-term deal worth around £150,000 a week.
A fee in the region of £40million has been agreed.
It is “difficult” for Lionel Messi to remain at Barcelona this summer, his father and agent, Jorge, told reporters on Wednesday.
“I don’t know, I know nothing,” Messi’s father told Spanish TV channel Cuatro when asked if the 33-year-old would leave the only club he has played for professionally.
But when pressed if it would be hard for him to remain, he said “yes”. And asked how he sees Messi’s future at Barcelona, he replied “difficult, difficult.”
He dodged questions on whether Manchester City would be a good option for his son. A move to Manchester City would allow Messi to link up with his former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola.
“I don’t know, there’s nothing yet,” he said, adding he had not had any discussions with Guardiola, who enjoyed trophy-laden years as Barcelona manager with Messi in his pomp.
Partey wants Arsenal move
It’s been a good week at Arsenal, even better now Thomas Partey is said to be keen to join the club this summer.
Goal report the Atletico Madrid midfielder is eager to join the project at the Emirates.
Arsenal must trigger his £44.5 million release clause however with the club unsuccessful in their attempts to offer Matteo Guendouzi as part of the deal.
The Gunners are said to have made it clear they are not in a position to pay that clause in full. Partey is happy to wait to see how things progress and will not force a move away from Atletico.
Inter shut down Messi talk
Inter sporting director Piero Ausilio says that there is “nothing” in reports claiming his side will sign Lionel Messi.
With the Argentine eager to leave the Camp Nou, Inter have been named as one of the few sides capable of prising him away.
But Ausilio says a move to the San Siro is virtually impossible.
“If we talk about Messi, there is no club that doesn’t want to sign him [but] the reality is different. In the market, we must be careful and smart.
“We know what we have to do. First of all, the exits. Through these, we will finance the newcomers.
“The opportunities are few and the ones we can take are not so expensive.”
Bayern waiting on new Liverpool bid
Liverpool are still working on a deal for Thiago Alcantara, according to Fabrizio Romano.
Bayern Munich expect to receive a new bid from Liverpool soon with Jurgen Klopp pushing to get the 29-year-old over the line.
Manchester United are also interested but as yet have only held talks wit the player’s agent and there is no dialogue between the clubs.
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
Ryan Fraser in Newcastle talks
Newcastle have held talks with free agent Ryan Fraser, according to Sky Sports.
The Scotland international left Bournemouth when his contract ended in May and is also weighing up an offer from Crystal Palace.
WEST HAM NEWS
West Brom close in on Diangana
Newly promoted West Brom are closing in on a deal for West Ham’s Grady Diangana.
Former Hammers boss Slaven Bilic is keen to bring back Diagana, who earned promotion with the Baggies on loan last season, on a permanent basis.
The two clubs have been in talks over a deal for some time and are closing in on a deal that could reach around £18million after add-ons.
Werner settled in London thanks to ‘agent Rudiger’
Timo Werner has revealed how Antonio Rudiger is helping him settle in west London, having played a part in convincing him to make the move in the first place.
“Having someone who can speak German [Rudiger] always helps, and also Kova [Mateo Kovacic] can speak German too, so he’s helped me settle in,” Werner said of his two teammates. “They have helped me around the training ground but also in explaining to me where is good to go for dinner, where is good to live, things like this.
“I didn’t know London very well, I’d only visited a few times, so it was really important to have two guys like this helping me settle in.
“When I first came to England it was hard to understand everyone’s English,” he admits, “because I haven’t had to speak this language since my school days. It’s not been as hard as I expected though, everyone has helped me settle in. People have spoken very slowly so I can understand and right now I feel very happy. I can understand everything and communicate in English.”
Arsenal change transfer stance on Maitland-Niles
Ainsley Maitland-Niles’ England call-up caps off a remarkable turnaround for the versatile midfielder, who looked set to leave Arsenal this summer.
Clubs in Germany and Wolves had shown an interest in the 23-year-old and Arsenal looked ready to cash in on Maitland-Niles.
The academy graduate, who confessed on Saturday his heart is with Arsenal, has fought back and now looks set to stay at the club after a brilliant run of form – which has seen him start and excel in the FA Cup semi-final and final, as well as the Community Shield.
Can’t see the transfer news LIVE blog? Click here to access our desktop page.
When does the 2020 summer transfer window close?
The window is now open for 10 weeks from July 27.
Following consultation with the EFL, a domestic-only window will be added from 5 October, closing 5pm on 16 October.
During this window, Premier League clubs will only be able to trade with EFL clubs (either loans or permanent registrations). No transfers can take place between Premier League clubs in this period.