The window officially opened last week after the completion of the delayed 2019-2020 Premier League season. Premier League clubs will now be busy tweaking their squads ahead of the new campaign, with the window scheduled to close on October 5.
Chelsea have already brought in the likes of Hakim Ziyech and Timo Werner, stealing a march on their rivals, while the likes of Manchester United and Man City are making early progress on significant deals.
Arsenal and Tottenham can now offer European football to their targets, and that could prove invaluable during what promises to be a difficult summer of negotiations.Arsenal are the front-runners to sign Willian on a free transfer.
Interesting. Bayern defender Jerome Boateng looks to be leaving Bavaria this summer and a move back to England for the former Manchester City player is of interest.
“I would not say no [to a Premier League return]. I love to [watch] the Premier League, I loved also when I was there to play,” Boateng said at a news conference.
“For me it was really unlucky because I got injured straight [away] and then I didn’t really play the position they promised me. But I still took a lot from this year, playing in the Premier League, it helped me a lot to play and train with great players, world-class players.
“I am definitely down [for] it, but I don’t know for the future. You never know. But it’s not that I would say ‘I never want to play there.’ It’s one of my favourite leagues for sure.”
Willian will join Arsenal on a three-year deal worth £100,000 a week, according to ESPN.
Frank Lampard had been keen to keep the player at Chelsea but the club were not prepared to offer a similar length contract, allowing Mikel Arteta to swoop in with a more attractive offer.
The deal will be confirmed in the coming weeks. This one looks done.
ICYMI: Spurs eye Brentford star Benrahma
Tottenham are interested in signing Brentford star Said Benrahma according to reports.
The Bees are braced to receive offers for their top players after missing out on promotion to the Premier League.
Benrahma is understood to be ready to leave Brentford to secure Premier League football, and the Mirror reports that Tottenham have entered the race for the 24-year-old Algerian.
An update on Thiago future from Kicker now. They claim the player has his heart set on a move to Liverpool, with the price set at €20million.
Liverpool, though, must weigh up the move due to the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
It’s all on hold. For now.
WEST HAM NEWS
West Ham boss David Moyes says there have been no bids for Declan Rice, who has been linked with a move to Chelsea.
“We don’t want any,” said Moyes, who revealed in an interview with Standard Sport that keeping West Ham up this season has been one of his toughest tests in management.
“There’s always the chance of interest but we don’t want to encourage it.”
MAN CITY NEWS
New Man City signing Ferran Torres has revealed he wanted to stay at Valencia but was forced out by the club.
The 20-year-old arrived at the Etihad in a deal worth £25m earlier this week and will link up with City ahead of next season.
But Torres was keen to point out the problems at the club where he came through the academy and claims he was told he was not wanted at the Mestalla.
“I wanted to stay and I put forward the conditions to do so,” he told Marca.
“They weren’t above the club’s means. I know they’re not in the same position as big European clubs, but I was able to lead that project and wanted to be treated as such. The club didn’t want to keep me.”
Arsenal are facing a backlash from current and former players over the decision to axe 55 staff while pressing ahead with their summer transfer plans .
A number of senior players are thought to be preparing to demand an explanation for the proposed redundancies, announced yesterday by head of football Raul Sanllehi and managing director Vinai Venkatesham.
The majority of the squad agreed to a 12.5 percent pay-cut in April – reduced to 7.5 percent following Europa League qualification – on the understanding it would help save jobs, and some have been left dismayed by the news and fear they could be blamed.
Player power has already proved influential during the pandemic, with the Tottenham and Liverpool squads playing a part in their clubs’ decisions to reverse using the taxpayer-funded furlough scheme.
Arsenal’s decision to cut nearly 10 percent of employees was explained to staff by Sanllehi and Venkatesham in a conference call on Wednesday afternoon, with the players and Mikel Arteta informed separately. While some staff have already been told their fate, others remain in the dark despite the club having gone public.
Gunners legend Ian Wright was among those to express dismay as social media reacted with anger, tweeting at the club: “Remember who you are, what you are and who you represent!!!” accompanied by three upset emojis.
Everything has sounded rather pessimistic on the Ben Chilwell to Chelsea front over the last few days.
Leicester are obviously reluctant to part with one of their prized assets and understandably want to be significantly compensated in the event that he does move on this summer.
Chelsea have been linked with several other left-backs as they look to address a problem position over the coming weeks, with reports from Spain yesterday even claiming that they were in advanced talks with Real Madrid over Sergio Reguilon, who has been so impressive out on loan at Sevilla.
However, Football Insider now claims there has been a key breakthrough in the Chilwell saga, with Chelsea increasingly confident of sealing a transfer worth approximately £50m for the England defender, having negotiated Leicester down from the initial £80m price tag previously being touted.
Manchester United have confirmed what was already known really, that Alexis Sanchez has joined Inter Milan on a three-year deal.
Arsenal in for Gabriel Magalhaes AND Willian
Arsenal are the front-runners to sign Willian, that much is known, but there are fresh reports today linking them with a move for Manchester United target Gabriel Magalhaes.
It’s looking like it could be a busy summer at the Emirates Stadium!
Chelsea turn attentions to Atletico’s Gimenez
Chelsea are plotting a move for £60m-rated Jose Gimenez after being priced out of a move for West Ham’s Declan Rice, according to reports.
Standard Sport understands that, along with Leicester City’s Ben Chilwell, Chelsea want to sign Rice to play in a back-three under Frank Lampard.
But the Daily Star reports that West Ham’s reluctance to sell has lead to Chelsea turning their focus to Atletico Madrid’s Uruguayan defender.
Fulham prioritise Parker contract and permanent Arter and Reed deals
Fulham are pressing ahead with permanent transfers for midfield duo Harrison Reed and Harry Arter and a new contract for manager Scott Parker.
The pair, who spent last season on loan from Southampton and Bournemouth respectively, are both firm favourites of Parker and keen on a stay at Craven Cottage.
Parker himself is set to extend his deal with the club having secured promotion, with talks to begin when they return from short breaks. The 39-year-old and his coaching staff were handed two-year deals in May 2019.
Click here for the full story.
MAN CITY NEWS
Man City interested in Joao Felix
Manchester City are said to have made an approach for Atletico Madrid playmaker Joao Felix.
MAN UTD NEWS
Sancho can ‘fulfill his dreams’ at Man United
Jadon Sancho will be able to “fulfil all of his dreams” at Manchester United as talks continue over a mega-money switch from Borussia Dortmund.
Former United player Keith Gillespie has told Sancho that the move will take the England international a step up in his career as the 20-year-old looks to become a “world superstar.”
“He’s a fantastic player and still very young,” Gillespie told Sky Sports.”He’s done fantastically well in Germany, but he wants to come to the Premier League.
“Manchester United are one of the biggest clubs in the world. No disrespect to Dortmund, they are a massive club as well but are not Manchester United.
“You come to a club like Manchester United to fulfil all your dreams, he’ll want to be a world superstar.”
Click here for the full story.
Bale’s absence vs City shows how he has fallen
When Real Madrid’s squad for the Champions League last-16 second leg against Manchester City was announced on Wednesday, Gareth Bale’s name was not on the 24-man list.
Coach Zinedine Zidane will 12 substitutes for the game at the Etihad Stadium (of which five can be used) and has called up eight forwards for the crunch clash with Pep Guardiola’s side. And still there was no room for the Welshman.
Bale’s exclusion came as a surprise, but perhaps it should not have. The 31-year-old made just two appearances in Real Madrid’s last 11 LaLiga games after lockdown and none at all in the final seven fixtures.
He was left out altogether as Los Blancos drew 2-2 at Leganes on the final day. “A technical decision,” Zidane said.
A strategic one, more likely. Zidane is keen to sell Bale in the summer and leaving him out of the squad for Butarque was a clear indication to the player and his entourage that he has no part in the Frenchman’s future plans.
Click here to to read Ben Hayward’s thoughts in full.
MAN UTD NEWS
Sancho accepts Manchester United must meet £108m price tag
Jadon Sancho appears to have accepted that his valuation will have to be met in order for him to leave Borussia Dortmund this summer.
Standard Sport understands that Manchester United and Dortmund are far apart in negotiations over a fee for the England forward, with United trying to strike a compromise as the Bundesliga giants hold out for £108m.
And Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc is not expecting Sancho – who returned to training earlier this week – to push back over his current club’s stance and also expects him to remain at Signal Iduna Park for the 2020/21 Bundesliga campaign, which begins next month.
Sport Witness reports Zorc as telling German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung: “I don’t expect any difficulties. Jadon has accepted that, he’s a very pleasant, fair guy.”
He added: “I assume that Jadon will go to the training camp on Monday and play with us for the coming season.”
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
Fulham enter race for Tottenham’s Walker-Peters
Fulham are poised to rival Southampton for the signature of Tottenham’s Kyle Walker-Peters after sealing an immediate return to the Premier League on Tuesday.
Saints and Spurs are close to agreeing a £12m fee for the defender, with Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg set to move the other way in a separate deal worth around £15m.
However, Fulham are considering entering the bidding for Walker-Peters following their promotion to the Premier League via a 2-1 win over rivals Brentford in the Championship play-off final.
Fulham missed out to Saints on a loan deal for Walker-Peters in January but the Cottagers remain in the market for a right-back, with manager Scott Parker and his assistant Matt Wells both admirers of the 23-year-old, having worked with him in Spurs’ academy.
Click here for the full story.
Ex-Arsenal boss Emery wants Guendouzi reunion
With a deal for Real Madrid starlet Takefusa Kubo reportedly agreed, will Unai Emery now secure a reunion with one of his former Arsenal players at Villarreal?
Matteo Guendouzi has fallen out of favour under Mikel Arteta and is being heavily linked with a departure from north London this summer.
According to French outlet Foot Mercato, Emery is interested in reuniting with the player he initially brought to Arsenal from Lorient in 2018, with contact made over a potential loan deal with an option to buy.
However, Barcelona are also said to be keen on Guendouzi, offering up Ivan Rakitic and Arturo Vidal in part-exchange deals.
Tottenham close in on Hojbjerg
Tottenham are poised to make Southampton midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg their first summer signing, with Kyle Walker-Peters set to move the other way in a separate deal.
The clubs are close to finalising a £15million deal for Hojbjerg, while a £12m fee has been agreed for full-back Walker-Peters, who spent the second half of the season on loan at St. Mary’s.
Hojbjerg has made it clear that he wants to join Jose Mourinho’s side and personal terms are expected to be a formality once the clubs have settled the finer details of the deal.
Click here for the full story.
Can’t see the Transfer news LIVE blog? Click here to access our desktop page.
When does the 2020 summer transfer window close?
The window is now open for 10 weeks from July 27.
Following consultation with the EFL, a domestic-only window will be added from 5 October, closing 5pm on 16 October. During this window, Premier League clubs will only be able to trade with EFL clubs (either loans or permanent registrations). No transfers can take place between Premier League clubs in this period.
Chelsea will push ahead with moves for Bayer Leverkusen star Kai Havertz and remain interested in Leicester City’s Ben Chilwell, while Manchester United are also expected to be busy this summer.
Jadon Sancho remains Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s number one target, and a deal should be completed if Man United can negotiate a compromise on the £100m-plus valuation Dortmund has for the England international.