Wed. Sep 23rd, 2020

Man Utd

News

Transfer news LIVE: Sancho to Man United latest, Willian to Arsenal, Chelsea want Gimenez, Benrahma to Spurs

11 min read

Welcome to the Evening Standard‘s rolling transfer news and rumours live blog as the summer transfer speculation increases.

The window officially opened last week after the completion of the delayed 2019-2020 Premier League season. Premier League clubs will now be busy tweaking their squads ahead of the new campaign, with the window scheduled to close on October 5.

Chelsea have already brought in the likes of Hakim Ziyech and Timo Werner, stealing a march on their rivals, while the likes of Manchester United and Man City are making early progress on significant deals.

Arsenal and Tottenham can now offer European football to their targets, and that could prove invaluable during what promises to be a difficult summer of negotiations.Arsenal are the front-runners to sign Willian on a free transfer.

Live Updates

CHELSEA NEWS

2020-08-06T08:29:02.330Z

Chelsea turn attentions to Atletico’s Gimenez

Chelsea are plotting a move for £60m-rated Jose Gimenez after being priced out of a move for West Ham’s Declan Rice, according to reports.

Photo: AFP

Standard Sport understands that, along with Leicester City’s Ben Chilwell, Chelsea want to sign Rice to play in a back-three under Frank Lampard.

But the Daily Star reports that West Ham’s reluctance to sell has lead to Chelsea turning their focus to Atletico Madrid’s Uruguayan defender.

FULHAM NEWS

2020-08-06T08:20:46.696Z

Fulham prioritise Parker contract and permanent Arter and Reed deals

Fulham are pressing ahead with permanent transfers for midfield duo Harrison Reed and Harry Arter and a new contract for manager Scott Parker.

The pair, who spent last season on loan from Southampton and Bournemouth respectively, are both firm favourites of Parker and keen on a stay at Craven Cottage.

Photo: PA

Parker himself is set to extend his deal with the club having secured promotion, with talks to begin when they return from short breaks. The 39-year-old and his coaching staff were handed two-year deals in May 2019.

Click here for the full story.
 

MAN CITY NEWS

2020-08-06T07:23:48.590Z

Man City interested in Joao Felix

Manchester City are said to have made an approach for Atletico Madrid playmaker Joao Felix.

Photo: Reuters
The Athletic reports that City could spend as much as £300million this summer with FFP rules retracted due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Advertisement

MAN UTD NEWS

2020-08-06T06:53:46.760Z

Sancho can ‘fulfill his dreams’ at Man United

Jadon Sancho will be able to “fulfil all of his dreams” at Manchester United as talks continue over a mega-money switch from Borussia Dortmund.

Former United player Keith Gillespie has told Sancho that the move will take the England international a step up in his career as the 20-year-old looks to become a “world superstar.”

Photo: Reuters

“He’s a fantastic player and still very young,” Gillespie told Sky Sports.”He’s done fantastically well in Germany, but he wants to come to the Premier League.

“Manchester United are one of the biggest clubs in the world. No disrespect to Dortmund, they are a massive club as well but are not Manchester United.

“You come to a club like Manchester United to fulfil all your dreams, he’ll want to be a world superstar.”  

Click here for the full story.

EUROPEAN NEWS

2020-08-06T06:36:38.053Z

Bale’s absence vs City shows how he has fallen

When Real Madrid’s squad for the Champions League last-16 second leg against Manchester City was announced on Wednesday, Gareth Bale’s name was not on the 24-man list.

Photo: Getty Images

Coach Zinedine Zidane will 12 substitutes for the game at the Etihad Stadium (of which five can be used) and has called up eight forwards for the crunch clash with Pep Guardiola’s side. And still there was no room for the Welshman.

Bale’s exclusion came as a surprise, but perhaps it should not have. The 31-year-old made just two appearances in Real Madrid’s last 11 LaLiga games after lockdown and none at all in the final seven fixtures.

He was left out altogether as Los Blancos drew 2-2 at Leganes on the final day. “A technical decision,” Zidane said.

A strategic one, more likely. Zidane is keen to sell Bale in the summer and leaving him out of the squad for Butarque was a clear indication to the player and his entourage that he has no part in the Frenchman’s future plans.

Click here to to read Ben Hayward’s thoughts in full.

MAN UTD NEWS

2020-08-06T05:55:22.476Z

Sancho accepts Manchester United must meet £108m price tag

Jadon Sancho appears to have accepted that his valuation will have to be met in order for him to leave Borussia Dortmund this summer.

Standard Sport understands that Manchester United and Dortmund are far apart in negotiations over a fee for the England forward, with United trying to strike a compromise as the Bundesliga giants hold out for £108m.

Photo: Getty Images

And Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc is not expecting Sancho – who returned to training earlier this week – to push back over his current club’s stance and also expects him to remain at Signal Iduna Park for the 2020/21 Bundesliga campaign, which begins next month.

Sport Witness reports Zorc as telling German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung: “I don’t expect any difficulties. Jadon has accepted that, he’s a very pleasant, fair guy.”

He added: “I assume that Jadon will go to the training camp on Monday and play with us for the coming season.”

Advertisement

PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS

2020-08-06T05:43:48.566Z

Fulham enter race for Tottenham’s Walker-Peters

Fulham are poised to rival Southampton for the signature of Tottenham’s Kyle Walker-Peters after sealing an immediate return to the Premier League on Tuesday.

Photo: Getty Images

Saints and Spurs are close to agreeing a £12m fee for the defender, with Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg set to move the other way in a separate deal worth around £15m.

However, Fulham are considering entering the bidding for Walker-Peters following their promotion to the Premier League via a 2-1 win over rivals Brentford in the Championship play-off final.

Fulham missed out to Saints on a loan deal for Walker-Peters in January but the Cottagers remain in the market for a right-back, with manager Scott Parker and his assistant Matt Wells both admirers of the 23-year-old, having worked with him in Spurs’ academy.

Click here for the full story.

ARSENAL NEWS

2020-08-06T05:36:11.170Z

Ex-Arsenal boss Emery wants Guendouzi reunion

With a deal for Real Madrid starlet Takefusa Kubo reportedly agreed, will Unai Emery now secure a reunion with one of his former Arsenal players at Villarreal?

Matteo Guendouzi has fallen out of favour under Mikel Arteta and is being heavily linked with a departure from north London this summer.

Photo: Getty Images

According to French outlet Foot Mercato, Emery is interested in reuniting with the player he initially brought to Arsenal from Lorient in 2018, with contact made over a potential loan deal with an option to buy.

However, Barcelona are also said to be keen on Guendouzi, offering up Ivan Rakitic and Arturo Vidal in part-exchange deals.

SPURS NEWS

2020-08-06T05:14:32.713Z

Tottenham close in on Hojbjerg

Tottenham are poised to make Southampton midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg their first summer signing, with Kyle Walker-Peters set to move the other way in a separate deal.

Photo: PA

The clubs are close to finalising a £15million deal for Hojbjerg, while a £12m fee has been agreed for full-back Walker-Peters, who spent the second half of the season on loan at St. Mary’s.

Hojbjerg has made it clear that he wants to join Jose Mourinho’s side and personal terms are expected to be a formality once the clubs have settled the finer details of the deal.

Click here for the full story.

Advertisement

MAN UTD NEWS

2020-08-06T04:59:53.280Z

Man United told to ‘get Mandzukic on a free transfer’

Former Manchester United midfielder Owen Hargreaves has urged the club to sign Mario Mandzukic on a free transfer.

The former Juventus, Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid striker is available on a free transfer after a short spell in Qatar.

Photo: AFP

Mandzukic rescinded his contract with Al-Duhail last month and has been previously linked with Tottenham and Man United. 

At 34-year-old, the Croatian could represent a good short-term option as back-up — especially with five substitutions allowed again next season.

And Hargreaves, who also played for Bayern Munich, certainly thinks so.

Click here for the full story.
 

MAN UTD NEWS

2020-08-06T04:58:04.100Z

So there’s our list of the best free agents available this summer, and one of them is being touted as an idea signing for Manchester United.

Yes, it’s the bloke pictured!

ES COVERAGE

2020-08-06T04:41:54.886Z

The best free agents available this summer

Following the huge financial losses due to the coronavirus pandemic, many teams will be looking at swap deals as a way to bring in new players.

Others will have to sell before they can buy, including Real Madrid and Barcelona, usually two of the biggest summer spenders.

Photo: Getty Images

Signing out-of-contract players is another alternative and here, Standard Sport takes a look at some of the most intriguing options on offer for free this summer.

Click here for Ben Hayward’s window recommendations!

Advertisement

MAN UTD NEWS

2020-08-06T04:28:35.556Z

Solskjaer confirms Alexis Sanchez will join Inter Milan

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed that Alexis Sanchez will be joining Inter Milan on a permanent deal today.

Photo: Reuters
The 31-year-old is set to sign a three-year deal with the Nerazzurri to end a nightmare spell at Old Trafford where he scored just three times in the Premier League.

“He’s a good player and had a good season down there at Inter. We wish him well,” the Man United boss said after their 2-1 win over LASK Linz.

SPURS NEWS

2020-08-06T04:24:52.443Z

Spurs eye Brentford star Benrahma

Tottenham are interested in signing Brentford star Said Benrahma according to reports.

Photo: Getty Images

The Bees are braced to receive offers for their top players after missing out on promotion to the Premier League.

Benrahma is understood to be ready to leave Brentford to secure Premier League football, and the Mirror reports that Tottenham have entered the race for the 24-year-old Algerian.

ARSENAL NEWS

2020-08-06T04:20:37.980Z

Arsenal to sign Willian AND Coutinho?

As reported by Standard Sport, Arsenal are the front runners to sign Willian from Chelsea on a free transfer, with Sky Sports reporting that the Gunners have offered the forward a three-year contract.

Photo: Getty Images
Meanwhile, Sport report that talks between Arsenal and Barcelona regarding a loan deal for Philippe Coutinho are at an ‘advanced stage’.

But could Arsenal really sign both of them? Only time will tell.

Advertisement

2020-08-06T04:14:51.730Z

Man United will ‘exhaust all avenues’ to seal Sancho deal

Manchester United will exhaust all avenues of negotiation with Borussia Dortmund to land Jadon Sancho, with the club convinced their top target has his heart set on a move to Old Trafford.

Despite refusing to pay £108million for the England international, United are pressing ahead with talks in a bid to reach a compromise.

Photo: AFP

Confirmation on Tuesday night that the clubs were miles apart in their valuations of Sancho was met with fury from supporters. But it has been United’s stance all summer that their spending would be impacted by the effects of coronavirus.

Executive vice chairman Ed Woodward has repeatedly warned that it would not be “business as usual” during this window.

Yet United remain encouraged to pursue a deal for the 20-year-old, who is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s absolute priority after securing a return to the Champions League.

While they would be prepared to consider other options if a deal cannot be reached, it’s understood Sancho is an overwhelming target that they are reluctant to alter their plans.

It is also believed the forward now sees his future at United – providing further incentive to United to pursue the deal.

The money remains the biggest stumbling block.

United believe payments in instalments is the best way to find a breakthrough – but are still unwilling to meet Dortmund’s full asking price.

They are reluctant to spend in excess of £60-70million on any individual target. If the deal is to get close to £108million, it will have to include performance-related add-ons.

Click here for the full story.

CRYSTAL PALACE NEWS

2020-08-05T22:36:59.413Z

Bees star Watkins a target for Palace

Crystal Palace and Aston Villa will go head-to-head in their battle to sign Ollie Watkins from Brentford, according to The Guardian.

The Bees forward struck 26 goals in 50 Championship appearances before their play-off defeat at the hands of Fulham.

Brentford could lose their star striker if a club makes a suitable offer and the Premier League clubs are preparing to submit bids to prize him away from the west London outfit.

2020-08-05T22:03:31.000Z

Conte hails Sanchez capture

Inter Milan head coach Antonio Conte has hailed the club’s capture of Alexis Sanchez on a permanent deal from Manchester United.
 

Photo: Reuters

The Chilean striker will complete a permanent switch to the San Siro tomorrow and Conte – after seeing his side book their place in the Europa League quarter-finals by beating Getafe – praised the efforts to clinch the signing.

“I think the Alexis Sanchez move is a great one made by the club. Considering the conditions we managed to get Alexis, it was a really good transfer,” he told Sky Sport Italia.

“He had come off two years when he was really struggling at Manchester United, then he got this injury with us and we took the time to get him back on track. So it’s only right that we are now able to reap the rewards of that effort.”

Advertisement

MAN UTD NEWS

2020-08-05T21:43:45.146Z

Sancho to Man Utd?

It’s safe to say Solskjaer is keeping his cards to his chest, refusing to talk about Jadon Sancho’s proposed move to Manchester United.

“We are looking into all transfers,” he told reporters.

“[I’m] not going to speak about individuals who are not our players.”

DONE DEAL

2020-08-05T21:04:06.000Z

Williams staying at Charlton

There hasn’t been too much good news surrounding relegated Charlton of late.

However, Addicks fans will be pleased to see that Jonny Williams has taken up an option to extend his stay at The Valley until at least next summer.

“I’m delighted to be staying,” said Williams.

“I’ve loved my time at Charlton, I feel at home here and I’m looking forward to, hopefully, having a good season next year and doing what we can to get the team back to the Championship.”

Can’t see the Transfer news LIVE blog? Click here to access our desktop page.

When does the 2020 summer transfer window close?

The window is now open for 10 weeks from July 27.

Following consultation with the EFL, a domestic-only window will be added from 5 October, closing 5pm on 16 October. During this window, Premier League clubs will only be able to trade with EFL clubs (either loans or permanent registrations). No transfers can take place between Premier League clubs in this period.

Chelsea will push ahead with moves for Bayer Leverkusen star Kai Havertz and remain interested in Leicester City’s Ben Chilwell, while Manchester United are also expected to be busy this summer.

Jadon Sancho remains Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s number one target, and a deal should be completed if Man United can negotiate a compromise on the £100m-plus valuation Dortmund has for the England international.

Copyright © All rights reserved. | Newsphere by AF themes.