Wed. Sep 23rd, 2020

Man Utd

News

Transfer news LIVE: Chelsea's Mendy talks; Arsenal improve Aouar bid; Reguilon to Man United; Tottenham latest

9 min read

Welcome to Standard Sport’s rolling coverage of the summer transfer window as the speculation ramps up.

The window officially opened in July after the completion of the delayed 2019-2020 Premier League season. Clubs will now be busy tweaking their squads ahead of the new campaign, with the deadline pushed back until October 5.

Arsenal have signed Willian and Gabriel Magalhaes, while Chelsea have confirmed the £90m arrival of Kai Havertz, having previously signed Thiago Silva, Malang Sarr, Ben Chilwell, Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech.

Manchester United have signed Donny van de Beek while working on a deal for Jadon Sancho and – reportedly – Dayot Upamecano, while Tottenham have signed Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Joe Hart and Matt Doherty.

Liverpool are biding their time in pursuit of Thiago Alcantara, but the biggest story is that Lionel Messi has decided to stay at Barcelona.

Live Updates

2020-09-06T22:30:00.000Z

Garcia open to Depay exit

Lyon coach Rudi Garcia is happy for Memphis Depay to join Barcelona.

The former Manchester United winger is reportedly a target for Ronald Koeman, who coached Depay while with the Netherlands squad and wants to take him to Camp Nou.

Garcia told Telefoot: “I read the Catalan press this morning. They talk about Memphis. Memphis is a fantastic player and if he can play the season with Lyon, we will only be stronger.

“But like many of my players, if they have the opportunity to play in a club built to win the Champions League, and he’s met a lot of them last season, I will personally take him in my car.”

CHELSEA NEWS

2020-09-06T22:06:44.000Z

Chelsea continue Mendy talks
 

Photo: Getty Images

Talking of Chelsea and goalkeepers, talks with Rennes over a move for goalkeeper Edouard Mendy remain ongoing, report the Mirror,

Frank Lampard has not been won over by Kepa Arrizabalaga, who remains Chelsea’s club-record signing despite Friday’s arrival of Kai Havertzs.

Mendy is Lampard’s first choice, though Ajax’s Andre Onana and Paris Saint-Germain’s Alphonse Areola have been offered to the club.

CHELSEA NEWS

2020-09-06T21:46:36.590Z

ICYMI: Chelsea sign goalkeeper

Chelsea have completed the capture of young goalkeeper Teddy Sharman-Lowe on a three-year deal from Burton Albion.

The 17-year-old, who has featured for England at Under-17 at level, will be loaned back to the League One outfit for the 2020/21 campaign.

“It’s brilliant and it has all happened so fast,” Sharman-Lowe told the club’s website.

“Burton have developed me so well and now it’s another new beginning and, hopefully, I can develop further with Chelsea.

“I’m excited to be joining such a great club, especially as they are known for bringing on young players.

Advertisement

ARSENAL NEWS

2020-09-06T20:52:36.750Z

ICYMI: Arsenal offered two players for Partey

Arsenal have reportedly discussed the possibility of swapping two players for Thomas Partey.

The Gunners are keen to land Partey this summer but Atleti are adamant his £45million release clause must be met. 

Photo: Getty Images

Arsenal are unwilling to part with that fee at this time but could raise funds for such a deal as they step up their summer clearout. 

However, Arsenal have also proposed a deal which would see both Matteo Guendouzi and Alexandre Lacazette move to the Wanda Metropolitano in exchange for Partey. 

“For sure they spoke with Atletico Madrid,” Romano told Lee Gunner on his YouTube channel.

“It was during the meeting they had for Thomas, the first time it was in July. They spoke about Matteo Guendouzi and they spoke also about Lacazette.”

WEST HAM NEWS

2020-09-06T19:57:28.990Z

ICYMI: West Ham’s Tarkowski bid

West Ham have made a £27m bid for Burnley defender James Tarkowski, according to The Telegraph.

Photo: Getty Images

The Hammers are set to reinvest the £18million they raised selling Grady Diangana to West Brom. 

David Moyes is prioritising a new centre-back. 

PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS

2020-09-06T19:37:53.653Z

Premier League giants eye Griezmann

Barcelona’s summer clear-out is now unlikely to include Lionel Messi after the Argentinian revealed he would see out his contract – and that could spell bad news for Antoine Griezmann.
 

Photo: Getty Images

According to The Mail on Sunday, the Blaugrana are keen to rebuild their squad and Griezmann, 29, has struggled to replicate the form he showed at Atletico Madrid since his £107m move.

It is claimed Arsenal and Manchester United are among the clubs monitoring the France international, with Barca coach Ronald Koeman keen to focus on younger talents such as Ansu Fati.

Advertisement

2020-09-06T19:00:18.000Z

Ola Aina heading to Fulham

Former Chelsea youngster Ola Aina leave Torino to join Fulham on loan for the season, reports Sky Italy’s Fabrizio Romano.

Fulham will be able to make the deal permanent.

2020-09-06T18:30:19.000Z

Suarez heading back to school

Luis Suarez is due to sit a language test on Monday in a bid to obtain Italian citizenship that would enable him to move to Serie A champions Juventus, Italian and Uruguayan media report.

There have been widespread reports that Juventus are chasing the 33-year-old Uruguayan who, if the moves go through, would line up alongside defender Giorgio Chiellini, the Italy defender he famously bit in a World Cup match in 2014.

However, Juventus have already used up their limit of two non-EU signings following the arrival of Brazilian midfielder Arthur Melo and US international Weston McKinney and would only be able to add Suarez if he can obtain an EU passport.

The media reports said that Suarez is eligible for Italian naturalisation as his wife is a citizen of the country, although it was not clear how the process, which usually takes several years, would be completed in one month.

The Uruguayan television programme Polideportivo, as well as several Italian newspapers, said on Sunday that Suarez would take a level B1 Italian test — regarded as lower intermediate and the minimum level required — on Monday.

2020-09-06T18:03:12.770Z

Pogba still wants Juventus return 

Paul Pogba is keen on returning to former club Juventus, according to Tuttosport. 

Photo: Getty Images

The midfielder is reportedly stalling on signing a contract extension with Manchester United, with the hope Juventus will launch a bid in the near future. 

Pogba’s current deal is due to expire next summer, though United reportedly have the option to extend it by a further year. 

Journalist Fabrizio Romano recently said Pogba was “sure” to return to Juventus this summer before the coronavirus pandemic hit club finances.

Advertisement

CHELSEA NEWS

2020-09-06T17:39:39.006Z

Chelsea business ‘not enough’ for title push

Liverpool have watched on as their rivals have strengthened this summer.

Chelsea, in particular, have made a real statement of intent with an unprecedented £200million spending spree, with Kai Havertz (below) and Ben Chilwell among those joining Timo Werner at the Bridge. 

Photo: Getty Images

Arsenal, too, have reinforced, with Gabriel Magalhaes and Willian arriving, while Tottenham have added Pierre-Emile Højbjerg, Matt Doherty and Joe Hart. Manchester United will reflect on a successful window if they can add Jadon Sancho before the October deadline. 

But regardless of all that, Jamie Carragher says the chasing pack have not done enough to trouble either Liverpool or Manchester City in the coming campaign. 

“I still see it as Liverpool and City,” he said. “There is too big a gap to bridge for Chelsea and United to gain 25, 30 points.”

DONE DEAL

2020-09-06T17:15:24.343Z

DONE DEAL! Wolves sign Marcal

Another one through the door at Wolves as they have confirmed the signing of Marcal from Lyon.

The deal is reportedly worth around €2m, and can play at both left-back and centre-back.

SPURS NEWS

2020-09-06T16:44:12.640Z

Tottenham to sign Habib Diallo?
 

Photo: PA

Jose Mourinho looks to be finally closing in on that back-up striker he has wanted since arriving.

Football London report that Metz striker Habib Diallo is the man for Mourinho after previous links to Ollie Watkins, Callum Wilson and Arkadiusz Milik.

The 25-year-old scored 12 goals and provided three assists in 26 league games last season.

Advertisement

CHELSEA NEWS

2020-09-06T16:20:05.000Z

Mount unhappy at Chelsea? Nope.

Bild reported earlier today that Mason Mount was unhappy at the arrival of Kai Havertz, another positional rival for the young midfielder.

Well, Tony Mount, Mason’s dad, has rounded denied that with a brilliant tweet.

That’s that settled, then.

MAN UTD NEWS

2020-09-06T15:54:01.290Z

Man United to trigger Upamecano clause

Manchester United are planning a move for RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano next summer, according to The Mail.

Photo: Getty Images

The 21-year-old recently signed a new three-year deal, which reportedly includes a release clause that would allow him to leave for £38million in 2021. 

Upamecano is now reportedly a top target for United, who are prepared to activate his release clause. 

EUROPEAN NEWS

2020-09-06T15:31:41.386Z

Barcelona agree Depay fee

Ronald Koeman is closing in on his first signing as Barcelona boss in fellow Dutchman Memphis Depay.

Barcelona have agreed a £22m deal with Lyon for the former Manchester United forward, claims La Vanguardia.

Photo: Getty Images

Advertisement

LIVERPOOL NEWS

2020-09-06T14:51:59.636Z

Thiago dodges transfer talk
 

Photo: Getty Images

Thiago Alcantara remains heavily linked with a move to Liverpool but the Bayern Munich star was giving nothing away when quizzed about his future while away on Spain duty.

“According to you guys, I’d be in a different club every year so I’m out of it.

“For me, my only future is tomorrows game, there’s nothing further so there’s nothing to talk about… Its not good for me, my team mates or the national team.”

SPURS NEWS

2020-09-06T14:23:10.626Z

Van de Beek: Bergwijin wanted me to join Spurs

Manchester United signing Donny van de Beek has revealed countryman Steven Bergwijin tried to get him to join Tottenham.

Van de Beek completed his move to Old Trafford on Wednesday, signing a five-year deal with the option of a further year.

Getty

A number of sides across the continent were keen on the 23-year-old, including Arsenal, according to van de Beek’s agent.

And speaking to Algemeen Dagblad, Van de Beek revealed he was contacted by his Netherlands teammate and Tottenham forward Bergwijn to see if he would consider moving to north London.

“Steven Bergwijn texted me to see whether I would play for Spurs,” he said.

“But I chose United.”

Van de Beek also explained he decided he was ready to take the next step in his career after a conversation with his agent last weekend.

“I felt ready for the next step. This was the time to go. That is why I was on the phone with my agent last weekend. In the end, there was an agreement.”

MAN UTD NEWS

2020-09-06T14:04:17.190Z

Race on for Reguilon

The race is still on for Sergio Reguilon, according to Fabrizio Romano.

Getty

Reguilon has been offered to Manchester United but Sevilla are among a number of clubs also in the hunt.
The Liga club are keen to loan him from Real Madrid after a successful stint last season. 

The Manchester United board and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer are reportedly considering him as one of a few options. 

Advertisement

ARSENAL NEWS

2020-09-06T13:31:08.356Z

ICYMI: New Arsenal Aouar bid

Arsenal launched a fresh bid for Houssem Aouar last week, according to L’Equipe.

The Gunners, who held informal talks over the 22-year-old much earlier in the summer, have reportedly stepped up their interest in recent days and submitted a player-plus-cash bid.

Getty

The offer would have seen Matteo Guendouzi move in the opposite direction but was knocked back by Lyon, with Edu leading the Arsenal negotiations. 

Fabrizio Romano says Arsenal are keen on a deal but they must sell to buy, with Juventus also sniffing around the player. 

Arsenal are trying to address their small budget with up to seven possible departures, including Hector Bellerin in a deal which could be worth around £25million. 

MAN CITY NEWS

2020-09-06T12:58:59.383Z

Atletico snub Man City bid for Gimenez

Reports in Italy claim Atletico Madrid have turned down a mammoth £70 million bid from Manchester City for centre-back Jose Maria Gimenez.

The Uruguayan is no longer a regular under Diego Simeone, with Felipe and Stefan Savic the preferred partnership.

Despite this, Sky Sport Italia journalist Alfredo Pedulla has reported that the offer has been snubbed by Atletico as Pep Guardiola looks to bolster his backline, having already signed Nathan Ake.

One to watch, for sure.

Can’t see the transfer news LIVE blog? Click here to access our desktop page.

When does the 2020 summer transfer window close?

The window is now open for 10 weeks from July 27.

Following consultation with the EFL, a domestic-only window will be added from 5 October, closing 5pm on 16 October.

During this window, Premier League clubs will only be able to trade with EFL clubs (either loans or permanent registrations). No transfers can take place between Premier League clubs in this period.

Copyright © All rights reserved. | Newsphere by AF themes.