Sat. Oct 24th, 2020

Man Utd

News

Transfer news LIVE: Champions League pressure on Man United, Aouar to Arsenal latest, Tottenham Vinicius deal

10 min read

Welcome to the Evening Standard’s live coverage of the latest news and rumours from the transfer window.

Time is running out for Premier League sides to make changes to their squad for the 2020-21 season. Clubs have until October 5 to sign players from Europe, though deals with EFL clubs can continue until October 11.

So far, Chelsea have put the rest to shame with eight new additions while Tottenham have made a statement of intent of their own in re-signing Gareth Bale – with Sergio Reguilon also arriving from Real Madrid – and they still want a striker and a defender.

Champions Liverpool have bolstered in the form of Thiago Alcantara and Diogo Jota – but it remains quiet for Manchester United as their pursuit of Jadon Sancho was put under added pressure following a tough Champions League group-stage draw.

Arsenal have also been busy, and are targeting Lyon captain Houssem Aouar and Thomas Partey in what could be a dramatic finish to the transfer window.

Live Updates

MAN UTD NEWS

More pressure on Manchester United

If anything was going to get United moving in the transfer market, it would be a tough Champions League draw – and they’ve certainly got one.

The Red Devils are in Group H, where they will take on last season’s runners-up PSG as well as RB Leipzig and Istanbul Basaksehir – ouch.

That may well force United to get their act together regarding signings, but the problem is that having left it this late, other clubs know United will want to get players in before that tough European schedule…

PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS

Fulham defender update

Photo: Getty Images

Italian transfer specialist Fabrizio Romano has an update on Fulham’s well-documented pursuit of a new centre-back – the difficulties associated with which Tony Khan laid bare on Twitter earlier this week.

Romano now says that Fulham are having no luck with regards to Jean Clair Todibo, with Barcelona said to be unwilling to accept their loan offer for the 20-year-old.

However, negotiations are reported to be continuing with Sampdoria over Gambian defender Omar Colley. Could he be the solution to Scott Parker’s backline woes?

DONE DEAL

Charlton sign Maddison

Photo: Getty Images

A done deal at The Valley, where Charlton have completed the signing of Marcus Maddison.

The versatile forward has joined as a free agent following his release by League One rivals Peterborough and penned a one-year contract that includes the option for a further 12 months.

“I’m delighted, this has been going on for quite a while,” Maddison told Charlton’s official website. “There was interest in January so I’m pleased it’s been done.

“To have consistent admiration from the manager and for him to pursue me all these months down the line shows that he believes in me as a player and that’s a massive deal for me.

“It’s a fresh start for me. The amount of time I’ve had out makes you remember why you started playing football in the first place, so I’m looking forward to getting started.”

Advertisement

Ivic unsure over Deeney’s Watford future

Photo: Getty Images

Watford boss Vladimir Ivic admits he is still unsure if Troy Deeney will be at the club when the transfer window closes, writes Simon Collings.

Deeney has been at Watford for 10 years, but has been linked with a move this summer after the Hornets were relegated to the Championship.

The striker has been attracting interest from West Brom, while he has also been linked with Tottenham.

Deeney was in Watford’s squad for the first time last weekend after recovering from a knee injury and came off the bench for the final stages as they beat rivals Luton 1-0.

Ivic, however, is unsure if Deeney will be at the club when the domestic transfer window shuts on October 16.

“I said that we don’t know until the last minute of this transfer window what is going to happen,” said Ivic.

“I speak with people from the club, with the board of the club, who work on this transfer window on who will move, who will come.

“And to be honest nobody from us knows, for some of the players, if they will be here or if they move – and he (Deeney) is one of the players.

“We will see until the last moment what is going to happen. I cannot tell you something more in this moment because I do not know.”

MAN UTD NEWS

No Man Utd offer for Cavani 

Manchester United have not made an offer to free-agent Edinson Cavani, according to Goal. 

Photo: Getty

The Uruguayan is still without a club after leaving Paris Saint-Germain when his contract expired last season. 

The forward has been linked with a move to United, but those reports are reportedly off the mark. 

Goal claim Atletico Madrid do have “terms on the table”, but insist Diego Costa will have to leave before a deal can be made. 

MAN UTD NEWS

Roma closing in on Smalling deal

Roma are nearing a deal for Manchester United centre-back Chris Smalling, according to The Athletic. 

Smalling impressed during a season-long loan deal with Roma last season, with the Italian club desperate for him to return. 

According to the report, Roma have now offered closer to United’s £20million asking price. 
 

Advertisement

MAN UTD NEWS

Costa ‘rejected United talks’

Italian outlet Calciomercato say that Juventus winger Douglas Costa rejected the chance to join Manchester United this summer. 

The report claims that United were ready to open talks with Juve as they sought alternatives to Jadon Sancho, but that the Brazilian is desperate to start at Juventus and fight for his place under new boss Andrea Pirlo. 

Photo: Getty

MAN UTD NEWS

United ‘need three signings to be contenders’

Former Manchester United man Luke Chadwick believes the club must sign Jadon Sancho AND two new defenders before the window closes if they are to compete for the title. 

“For the club to really compete, they need more than one signing. It will take two, three, four signings to really compete,” he told Sports Mole. “Jadon Sancho would be a huge signing. They’ve got gifted players in that position already but Sancho is a talent that doesn’t come around too often.

“The defensive issues are a problem. They need reinforcements in the back-four. The left-back position has been spoken about a lot. 

“Alex Telles looks a fantastic player. I think Luke Shaw is great but it’s whether he can stay fit for the whole season.

“So I think a couple of defenders are a must and Sancho if the club want to compete for the title.”

MAN UTD NEWS

Man United working on Traore deal

Manchester United are working on a deal to sign Atalanta winger Amad Traore, according to the Manchester Evening News.

Getty

The report claims there is ‘cautious optimism’ a deal can be done before Monday’s transfer deadline.

The Ivorian however is not said to be seen as an alternative to Jadon Sancho, with United still hoping to sign the Borussia Dortmund to solve their long-standing issues at right wing. 

Advertisement

DONE DEAL

Dest signs for Barca

Barcelona have completed the signing of full-back Serginho Dest from Ajax. 

PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS

Wilder ‘would love to re-sign Brooks’

Sheffield United boss Chris Wilder says he would love to bring Welsh midfielder David Brooks back to the club.

Brooks left the Blades to join Bournemouth two years ago, but the two clubs’ fortunes have contrasted since then, with the Cherries relegated to the Championship while United first achieved promotion and then secured a top-half finish in the Premier League. 

“I’d love, and maybe I’m out of order for saying this but I mean it with the utmost respect, to bring David Brooks back to this football club,” Wilder said. “If he was available that is. Maybe I’m wrong for talking about him. But he’s a match winner.”

WEST HAM NEWS

Hammers confident of Loftus-Cheek loan

West Ham are confident they can strike a loan deal with Chelsea for midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek, according to the Daily Star. 

Photo: Getty

Frank Lampard has confirmed Loftus-Cheek is available for loan, though Ross Barkley has now also left for Aston Villa. 

The Hammers believe a deal of the midfielder can go through independent of the future of Declan Rice, which they remain adamant is at the London Stadium.

Advertisement

MAN CITY NEWS

Barcelona and Man City in Garcia talks 

Barcelona are in ‘direct’ talks with Manchester City over a deal for Eric Garcia, reports Fabrizio Romano. 

Photo: Getty

Garcia has reportedly turned down bids from two clubs in recent weeks with his only desire to return to Barcelona. 

Balague claims the Catalan giants will either reach an agreement to sign the defender in the next few days or when his contract expires next summer. 

MAN UTD NEWS

No Man Utd bid for Dembele 

Manchester United have not – and will not – will make offer for Ousmane Dembele, according to Guillem Balague. 

Photo: Getty

Barcelona are reportedly not interested in a loan deal unless it involves an option to buy. 

Meanwhile, the Catalan giants reportedly believe the links to Demebel are merely being put out there to add pressure to Jadon Sancho and Barcelona. 

Benrahma set for Brentford start

Said Benrhama is set to make his first start of the season as Brentford take on Fulham for a place in the Carabao Cup quarter-finals. 

Photo: Getty

The forward has been heavily linked with a move away from the club, but manager Thomas Frank has confirmed he will be involved. 

Meanwhile, Fulham’s loan signing Ademola Lookman has had just one training session with his team-mates and is, therefore, unlikely to feature. 

Advertisement

ARSENAL NEWS

Arsenal looking to offload Torreira and Kolasinac

Arsenal remain in talks with Lyon for Houssem Aouar but are looking to sell Lucas Torreira and Saed Kolasinac to fund the move. 

The Gunners are expected to make another move for the midfielder, who is valued at close to £50millin by the French club. 

Photo: Getty

Standard Sport understands a number of players could leave before Monday’s deadline, including Shkodran Mustafi and Sokratis Papastathopoulos, but it’s Kolasinac and Torreira most likely to depart. 

Torreira is in talks with Atletico Madrid, though Arsenal want a permanent move while the Spanish club are looking to take him on loan. 

Meanwhile, Bayer Leverkusen are in advanced talks for Kolasinac, who Arsenal hope will leave for around £10m. 

CHELSEA NEWS

Chelsea happy for Rudiger to join Spurs… on one condition 

Chelsea are happy to let Antonio Rudiger join Spurs on a season-long loan, but only if he first signs a new one-year deal. 

Photo: Getty

The centre-back has just 18 months remaining on his contact and Chelsea don’t want him returning with just six-months left. 

Jose Mourinho is desperate for a new central defender and Spurs are now looking at Rudiger after being put off by Inter Milan’s £45million valuation of Milan Skriniar. Spurs may yet go in for a last-minute bid for the defender, however. 

Standard Sport understands the relationship between Spurs and Chelsea at board level has mellowed – the Blues were willing to allow Olivier Giroud make a switch in January. 
 

MAN UTD NEWS

Neville: Appaling Man Utd haven’t signed more

Gary Nevilles believes it’s appalling Manchester United have not brought in more players during the transfer window, highlighting the key areas they must improve. 

“It’s appalling that in this market which is probably the easiest in PL history to get transfers done that United haven’t done more yet,” he wrote on Twitter. 

“They must get Ole a centre-back, left-back and a forward pre-deadline! The others are managing to get things over the line why not United!”

Neville was also asked whether a late spree in the window would resemble panic buying, to which he said: “Panic Buy! They’ve needed these positions filling for 12 months, had a national lockdown to regroup and re-set and ample time to manoeuvre deals to a conclusion.”

Advertisement

WEST HAM NEWS

Hammers see Vanaken bid turned down

West Ham have seen their £13million bid for Club Brugge midfielder Hans Vanaken rejected, according to Sky Sports.

Photo: Getty

Brugge are reportedly demanding a larger fee for the 28-year-old who scored 15 goals in 35 games last season. 

Vanaken signed a new five-year deal only last summer, giving Brugge serious bargaining power in any potential deal. 

SPURS NEWS

Tottenham still after a centre-back 

The incomings at Spurs are seemingly neverending! Jose Mourinho still wants to bring in a centre-back before Monday’s deadline.

Photo: Getty

Spurs are weighing up a late move for Inter Milan’s Milan Škriniar, while they have also been watching South Korean international Kim-min Jae.

Tottenham will have to offload a number of players, however. Juan Foyth is interesting Villareal, while Danny Rose and Paulo Gazzaniga can also leave permanently.

Meanwhile, both Ryan Sessegnon and Jack Clarke are expected to leave on loan. 

Can’t see the Transfer news LIVE! blog? Click here to access our desktop page.

When does the 2020 summer transfer window close?

The window is now open for 10 weeks from July 27.

Copyright © All rights reserved. | Newsphere by AF themes.