The window officially opened in July after the completion of the delayed 2019-2020 Premier League season. Clubs will now be busy tweaking their squads ahead of the new campaign, with the deadline pushed back until October 5.
Arsenal have secured Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang‘s future after signing Willian and Gabriel Magalhaes, while Chelsea have confirmed the £90m arrival of Kai Havertz, having previously signed Thiago Silva, Malang Sarr, Ben Chilwell, Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech – with goalkeeper Edouard Mendy expected to follow this week.
Manchester United have signed Donny van de Beek while working on a deal for Jadon Sancho, while Tottenham are closing in on a sensational double deal for Gareth Bale and Sergio Reguilon having already signed Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Joe Hart and Matt Doherty.
Arsenal to make €40m Aouar bid
Arsenal are poised to make a €40m bid for Houssem Aouar, according to Téléfoot Chaine.
The Gunners have been heavily linked with the France international and with extra money in the coffers following the sale of Emiliano Martinez to Aston Villa, a deal could still yet happen.
Lyon however are believed to be holding out for £55.5million.
MAN UTD NEWS
Solskjaer reassures Sancho over United move
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has told Jadon Sancho he believes his move to Manchester United will be sealed soon.
United are still not willing to meet Dortmund’s asking price of €120m – with one of the transfer sagas of the summer dragging into the final weeks of the window.
But according to Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet, Solskjaer is confident a deal will be done with the United boss reassuring the England international the move will be set in motion soon.
Surely this is good enough for the top four this season?
ICYMI: Bayern back in for Hudson-Odoi
Bayern Munich have revived their interest in Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi, according to Sky in Germany.
Bayern made several bids in January – the latest worth up to £35m – but saw their offers knocked back.
Their interest has since cooled but the increased competition for places at Chelsea after an unprecedented transfer splurge means Bayern could move for Hudson-Odoi once more.
The 19-year-old signed a new five-year deal last September.
The left-back arrived at Hotspur Way on Wednesday ahead of completing a medical on Thursday, with official confirmation likely coming before Spurs take the field in Bulgaria to face Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Europa League in the evening.
Reguilon is expected to cost around £25million, with Tottenham agreeing to include a number of clauses in the deal.
Real Madrid will have the option to buy back the 23-year-old for around £36m within two years and meet any fee Spurs agree with another club.
Should the deal be finalised on Thursday, the club will be able to Reguilon in time for Sunday’s trip to Southampton.
CRYSTAL PALACE NEWS
Crystal Palace are hoping to beat Sheffield United to the loan signing of Liverpool starlet Rhian Brewster, Sky Sports are reporting.
The 19-year-old is set to head out on loan to a Premier League club for the 2020/21 campaign after catching the eye with Swansea last season.
Palace want to bolster their strikeforce despite already capturing Michy Batshuayi, while Sheffield United remain in the running to sign the England Under-21 international.
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
This is an interesting one.
Fabrizio Romano says Leicester City are looking to seal a deal for Roma’s Cengiz Under from AS Roma!
The right winger will join on loan with an obligation to buy. The agreement is going to be reached on loan with an obligation to buy. Leicester moved on to the Roma man after seeing a bid for Barcelona youngster Francisco Trincao.
This one has moved fast. Sergio Reguilon is at Hotspur Way to undergo a medical ahead of a £25m move from Real Madrid.
Timo Werner says he made the right decision joining Chelsea instead of Liverpool and he has come to Stamford Bridge to win titles.
“When I decided to leave Leipzig I talked to different clubs, of course, next to Chelsea. There were some other clubs that I talked to. But for me I don’t want to talk about so much about other clubs, because in the end I decided for Chelsea.
“Of course there were some other clubs also, like Liverpool – who have a great team, and also maybe I can fit good to some other teams.
“But at the end I decided [to join] Chelsea because for me it was the best decision I can take. Not only because of the style of football but also because of what they have shown to me.
ICMIY: Arsenal turn attentions to Partey and Aouar
The Mirror reports that Atletico Madrid’s Ghanaian midfielder Thomas Partey and Lyon’s French playmaker Houssem Aouar remain two of their targets.
Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho remained tight-lipped on the club’s attempts to re-sign Gareth Bale from Real Madrid but tellingly revealed he has tried to recruit the Wales international in two of his previous jobs.
Mourinho claimed he had not only tried to buy Bale during his time in charge of United but that he had wanted to sign the forward for Real Madrid in 2012 – a year before Los Blancos agreed a then world-record £85million deal with Tottenham.
Spurs on Wednesday remained locked in talks with Real over a sensational move to re-sign the 31-year-old, most likely on a loan deal with the Spanish giants subsidising at least half of his £600,000-a-week salary.
Asked for the latest, Mourinho said: “Gareth Bale is a Real Madrid player. I don’t comment on players from other clubs.
“It’s not my job to have contact with agents, I don’t want to comment on that, especially on players at other clubs.”
Pushed on his attempts to sign Bale for United, however, Mourinho said: “Even before that, I tried to sign him for Real Madrid, which was not possible to do during my time there but the president followed my instinct and my knowledge and the season I left he brought Gareth to the club.
“There’s no secret to that. Even Gareth knows that but I’m not going to speak on him any more because he’s a Real Madrid player.”
MAN UTD NEWS
Man United’s Sancho fears
United believe Real Madrid, Barcelona and Liverpool are among the clubs who will join the race for Sancho in 12 months if he remains at Dortmund.
The England international remains United’s transfer priority this summer, but Dortmund are yet to budge on their £108m asking price.
MAN UTD NEWS
Manchester United have added Atalanta’s Amad Traore to their list of right-wing targets, report the Mirror.
Any deal would not be as an alternative to Jadon Sancho and contact between the clubs over a deal has already been established.
Traore, just 18 years old, is attracting plenty of interest across Europe and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants to snap him up before competition for his signature intensifies.
Watford defender Pervis Estupinan has joined Villarreal for an initial fee of £15million.
The Ecuador international joined Watford in 2016 from LDU Quito but was sent out on loan to gain experience and a work permit. The left-back has since flourished in Spain during loans with Granada, Almeria, Mallorca and most recently Osasuna.
Estupinan’s form in LaLiga unsurprisingly attracted great interest in the 22-year-old and he has now left Watford after they were relegated to the Championship.
The Hornets have, however, banked a fee of £15m for a player who did not make a single first-team appearance for them.
There has been no talk about Gareth Bale’s potential return to Tottenham among the players, says Eric Dier.
Sure, Eric. Sure.
He told reporters: “No, nothing on the WhatsApp group. Obviously there’s a lot of speculation and it’s not for me to speculate on.”
He added: “I’m sure from the fans’ point of view it’s very exciting to be linked with a player of that level. It doesn’t affect me personally. It’s not the first time there’s been a player linked with going here or there.”
Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho has refused to comment on the club’s attempts to re-sign Gareth Bale.
The Real Madrid winger’s representatives are working on a deal to take Bale back to Spurs.
But ahead of his side’s Europa League second-round qualifying clash with Lokomotiv Plovdiv, Mourinho said: “Gareth Bale is a Real Madrid player and I don’t comment on players from other clubs.
“That is not my job to have contacts with agents. I don’t want to comment on that.”
MAN UTD NEWS
Why Man Utd didn’t pursue Bale
Manchester United opted against rivaling Tottenham’s move for Gareth Bale, with the winger’s injury record and personal terms convincing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer not to pursue a loan deal.
Bale was always seen as a back up to top target Jadon Sancho, whose proposed transfer from Borussia Dortmund has reached an impasse over the German club’s £108million valuation.
Wales international Bale is now set to rejoin Spurs on loan seven years after leaving them for Real Madrid in a world record deal.
United were prepared to discuss a short-term move for the 31-year-old after learning of Real’s determination to offload him this summer.
But despite him being a long-term target for executive vice chairman Ed Woodward, it’s understood the Old Trafford club never drove negotiations – instead considering him one of a number of alternatives to Sancho.
Ivan Perisic and Douglas Costa remain under consideration – but Sancho is still Solskjaer’s overwhelming priority before the window closes next month.
What Bale said about Jose hire
Gareth Bale hailed the appointment of ‘serial winner’ Jose Mourinho when the Portuguese took the reins at Tottenham last season.
“Having [Jose] Mourinho there is an amazing statement from the club, I think he’s a serial winner,” Bale told BT Sport in December last year.
“Tottenham want to win trophies and I don’t think there’s a better partnership than Mourinho and Tottenham together to try and win some trophies.”
Levy driving Tottenham deal for Bale
Tottenham remain locked in talks over a sensational deal to re-sign Gareth Bale from Real Madrid.
Daniel Levy, the Spurs chairman, is leading negotiations with Real and Bale’s agent Jonathan Barnett, with optimism on all sides of completing the biggest transfer of the summer.
Any move is dependent on Real agreeing to subsidise at least half of Bale’s reported £600,000-a-week wages, which the Spanish giants are reluctantly willing to do.
A loan deal is looking most likely, although Real have pushed for a permanent transfer as they look to offload their highest earner, who has two years remaining on his contract.
Dele Alli was reportedly among those offered to Real as a makeweight but any deal for the 31-year-old is not set to include any players in part-exchange.
On the Spurs side, the deal is being driven by Levy, who brokered a then world-record £85million fee for Bale to join Real in summer 2013, having signed him as a 17-year-old from Sunday’s opponents Southampton.
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
Villa delighted with ‘top-class’ Martinez
Martinez shone for the Gunners during the end of last season after being forced to step up following a knee injury to No1 Bernd Leno.
The Argentina international helped Arsenal win a record 14th FA Cup, but has now joined Villa on a four-year deal as he goes after regular first-team football.
Villa boss Dean Smith said: “We are really pleased with the signing of our new goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez.
“We know how highly Arsenal rated him and we watched his outstanding performances last season in a trophy-winning top side.
“We moved for Emi when we saw the opportunity, as it is rare to be able to buy a top class goalkeeper who hasn’t yet reached their peak age and who can therefore be a key player for our Club for the long term.”
Can’t see the Transfer news LIVE blog? Click here to access our desktop page.
When does the 2020 summer transfer window close?
The window is now open for 10 weeks from July 27.
Following consultation with the EFL, a domestic-only window will be added from 5 October, closing 5pm on 16 October.
During this window, Premier League clubs will only be able to trade with EFL clubs (either loans or permanent registrations). No transfers can take place between Premier League clubs in this period.