Transfer speculation is building as we approach the end of the 2019-20 season and while Chelsea have already wrapped up some impressive deals, they continue to be linked with some star names from across the continent.
Manchester City learned on Monday that their two-year ban from European competition had been overturned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport and you would expect that to have ramifications in the transfer window.
The revised dates of the summer window have been confirmed, and we’ll bring you all the latest transfer news and rumours…
Arsenal still interested in Kluivert
Arsenal are still interested in signing Roma forward Justin Kluivert, according to reports in Italy.
Corriere dello Sport report the Gunners are still firm admirers of the Dutchman having been linked with him prior to his move to the Italian capital in 2017.
The report claims Kluivert could be available for £27m.
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
Saint-Maximin warned off move away from Newcastle
Former Magpie Chris Waddle believes Allan Saint-Maximin should not leave Newcastle in search of a “pointless” move to one of England’s top sides.
The forward has starred since his transfer from Nice in 2019, recently linked with both Manchester United and Manchester City.
“He’s 23 and his name is starting to be linked with other clubs,” Waddle told Racing Post. “I see Manchester United have been mentioned and maybe there’s a bit too much agent talk going on, but I don’t think now is the time for him to be worrying about that.
“He could get a move to somewhere like Manchester City and he might have the chance to play in a more advanced position but his chances would be severely limited.
“That would be pointless. You have to play. I’ll say it time and again.
“What would be the point of starting a couple of FA Cup matches and making 20 appearances as a substitute?
“It’s fine when you are 36 and you just want to be part of something or you are looking after your bank balance. He’s got most of his career ahead of him, so this is no time to waste it on the bench.”
‘Ramos will be at Madrid for the rest of his life’
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez insists Sergio Ramos will stay at the club until he retires amid uncertainty surrounding his future.
The 34-year-old has just one year remaining on his Madrid contract but Perez insists the fans do not have to worry.
The Spaniard played a pivotal role as Madrid stormed to the La Liga title, Ramos’ fifth in total.
“Ramos will be here for the rest of his life, everyone can relax,” said Perez, as per Sky Sports.
“He is much more than a captain, he has been incredible as a leader. The team has unbelievable team spirit and that is all down to him.”
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
Blades complete goalkeeper signing
Sheffield United have completed the signing of goalkeeper Wes Foderingham from Rangers on a three-year deal.
The 29-year-old’s contract at Rangers expired in May, with the free agent to officially join when the transfer window reopens.
“I’m delighted to join Sheffield United,” Foderingham told sufc.co.uk. “It is an exciting time for the club after an incredible first season back in the Premier League.
“I’m looking forward to meeting the team and can’t wait to get started.”
Foderingham will come in as the Blades’ No2, with Chris Wilder looking to resign loanee Dean Henderson, according to the Daily Mail.
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
Rodgers: Chilwell not for sale – simple as that
Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers insists defender Ben Chilwell is not for sale this summer amid interest from Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea.
“He’s a Leicester City player and not a player we want to lose,” Rodgers said in his press conference on Friday.
“I’m quite relaxed on it,” he added of his players being linked elsewhere. ” I’m not worried at all. We’ve got a fantastic squad, a squad we want to keep together.
“There’s no intention to sell Ben Chilwell and there’s absolutely no need to sell.
“So the message is he’s not for sale – it’s as simple as that.”
Mourinho: Vertonghen’s future ‘belongs to him’
Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho has refused to confirm Sunday’s match against Leicester will be Jan Vertonghen’s final home game for the club.
“I cannot say that, it’s not for me to say that,” he said at his pre-match press conference. “Someone who has been in the club for eight months cannot speak about somebody who has eight years of brilliant contribution to the club.
“The only thing I can say is every day is a pleasure for me to work with a guy of his dimension. I can only have very good words about Jan.
“His future belongs to him. At the moment we will inform and that’s the correct procedure for a player of the last generation at the club. Eight years means a lot in modern football.”
Lampard: Ziyech settling in at Chelsea
Frank Lampard has revealed Hakim Ziyech is settling in at Chelsea after joining his team-mates in a group training session for the first time on Thursday.
The attacker completed a move from Ajax back in February and is now getting familiar with his team-mates and building his fitness ahead of next season.
“Hakim has been here for the week, trained a couple of days on his own and then he’s integrated a bit with the team so [he’s settling in] very well,” Lampard said. “The lads have welcomed him very well.
“He’s settled in and chatting and forming those new relationships in the early stages and more importantly for him, getting himself fit.
“It’s been nice for him to take a bit-part in training and then also get some physical work because he hasn’t trained or played for a quite a while.”
MAN UTD NEWS
Dortmund in position of power in Sancho deal
Borussia Dortmund will not allow Jadon Sancho to leave the club in a cut-price deal, report BBC Sport, who claim the German club believe they are in a position of strength with the forward’s £190,000-a-week contract running to 2022.
The 20-year-old has been identified as a primary target for Manchester United this summer, while Dortmund are due to complete the signing of Jude Bellingham.
United Vice-chairman Ed Woodward revealed in April the club “were not immune” from the financial impacts of the coronavirus pandemic, with reports suggesting they had put a £50million cap on any deal for the winger.
While the report suggests that may not be the case, United will certainly have diminished funds available regardless.
Meanwhile, Dortmund are expected to hold firm until they receive a worthy offer, also not willing in increased add-ons to lower the initial fee.
BBC Sport also report United would lose £22.5million if they miss out on Champions League football for a second year running due to a clause in their contract with kit suppliers Adidas – though that sum would be spread over five years.
Adams: Arsenal ‘out of their depth’ in recruitment
Tony Adams insists his former club Arsenal are “out of their depth” in terms of recruitment, insisting techincal director Edu has no experience of building European squads.
“My fundamental issue is with recruitment,” Adams told talkSPORT. “I think the club is going through such a recruitment issue at the moment – it’s relying on agents.
“That’s not the way to go; it’s not Arsenal DNA, I’m afraid. I don’t like it. I’ve got to say it publicly.”
“Edu, I love him, he’s a beautiful man, it’s not personal, but he has no experience of building European squads,” he added.
“Even Raul Sanllehi, came from Barcelona, all the money in the world, it doesn’t look like he’s going to get money here!
“Those people are out of their depth, I’m sorry.”
WEST HAM NEWS
West Ham looking to sell Anderson
West Ham will look to offload Felipe Anderson this summer regardless of whether they survive relegation, according to The Times.
The 27-year-old – who signed from Lazio in 2018 – has two years remaining on his contract, with David Moyes keen to raise funds for summer activity.
The Brazilian has certainly shown his class on occasions but has failed for a consistent level of form and fitness, scoring just one goal in the Premier League this season.
Arteta: Maitland-Niles has ‘incredible quality’
Mikel Arteta insists the versatile Ainsley Maitland-Niles has “incredible” quality, refusing to comment on the speculation pointing towards a potential exit.
The Athletic have reported the Englishman to be looking for a move away from the Emirates this summer.
“I don’t disclose those reports, first of all because I don’t read them so I don’t know about them,” Arteta said. “I speak to the players about how they are feeling and how we can help them.
“If they are having difficulties again I speak to them and make them easier for them. He’s a player who can play in many different positions, we have discussed the things in my opinion that he can improve or adapt to his game because he has incredible quality.
“He has every quality that you need to be a football player to play the highest level and he just needs to do it in a little bit more of a consistent way, but he is someone who can adapt to any position as well.”
Tottenham not in for Kim-min Jae
Standard Sport understands there is no truth in reports linking Kim-min Jae with a move to Spurs.
There have been reports (12.34) in Korean media that the 23-year-old is jetting in for Tottenham talks.
MAN UTD NEWS
ICYMI: Dortmund expecting £109m Sancho bid
According to Bild, Borussia Dortmund are expecting Manchester United to offer in excess of £100m for Jadon Sancho if they secure qualification for next season’s Champions League.
Sancho is United’s No.1 target this summer, and the German publication report that Dortmund are in no rush to sell the England international amid reports of a possibly reduced fee closer to £50m.
Instead, despite the pandemic affecting cashflow in the sport, Dortmund are happy to hold out for nine figures.
Arteta positive about Auba future
Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta said on Friday that he is positive about captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s future at the club.
Aubameyang, the club’s top scorer this season with 20 league goals, is out of contract at the end of next season and has not yet agreed to an extension with the north London club.
“I’ve always been very positive about (Aubameyang’s future). I don’t have the key to the future and in football anything is possible,” Arteta said.
“But I see his reaction, I see how he’s training every day and know that he’s happy. I talk to him a lot and if we’re able to do it, I think we can do it. We know how important he is to this team.”
World Cup winner Andre Schurrle has announced his retirement from football at the age of 29.
The former Chelsea, Fulham and Bayer Leverkusen midfielder had his contract cancelled by Borussia Dortmund after coming to an agreement with the club this week despite having a year remaining.
“I want to let you know that I’m stepping away from playing professional football,” the former Germany international, who was part of the squad which won the World Cup in 2014, wrote on Instagram.
“On behalf of myself and my family I want to thank everybody who was a part of these phenomenal years.
“The support and love you shared with me was unbelievable and more I could have ever asked for. Now I’m ready and open for all the beautiful possibilities that are coming towards me.”
In an interview with German newspaper Der Speigel Schurrle added: “I don’t need the applause any more. The decision matured in me for a long time… the depths became deeper and the highlights less and less”.
Skipp, 19, agreed a new deal until 2024 on Friday and Mourinho revealed the youngster is likely to go out on loan next season.
“I’m really happy,” Mourinho said. “Everybody in the club is, his team-mates are, I am and Skippy is or not he wouldn’t sign the contract. I think he’s genuinely Tottenham’s future.
“He’s one of these players by human quality, by personality, he is one of these kids that I have no doubt he will be an important player for Tottenham.
“Sometimes coaches are selfish and I told him that. I never told him I want him to go on loan, I always told him I wanted him to stay here because that’s the selfish perspective of a coach who wants the best possible squad.
“In his mind he wants to go on loan, [for] six months, the whole season. He feels that he needs that, I also feel that would be good for his evolution, so maybe that is the direction we go. I think he can be more than a player, he can be a future captain here. Hugo, Harry.
“I see this kid being one day a future captain here by his character, by his personality. I feel really happy that he signed.”
Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has made clear his desire to keep hold of Alexandre Lacazette.
Arteta said: “Why would I want to lose a player like him? I’m really happy with him. I really like Alex, I said that even before I joined here that he is the type of striker that I really like.
“I think he had periods where he was very unlucky because he was having the chances and not converting them which he is not used to.
“But the way he can link play, he’s a massive competitor he hates to lose. He goes for every ball, you see in every challenge how he’s ready to go. He works really hard and he’s a very intelligent player, I am really happy with him.”
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
Rodgers: Chilwell not for sale
Brendan Rodgers has warned Chelsea and Mancher United that Ben Chilwell is “not for sale”.
“He’s a Leicester player, he’s not a player that I’m worried about at all” Rodgers said ahead of Sunday’s trip to Tottenham Hotspur.
“We’ve got a fantastic squad, one that we want to keep together. There’s no intention for us to sell Chilwell and we don’t need to sell Chilwell. He’s not for sale.”
First the tracking of a flight, and now a medical is booked. It’s like deadline day for Tottenham. According to Daily Mail, Spurs will make 15-year-old Alfie Devine their first summer signing within the next 48 hours.
The youngster comes from Wigan, who are facing a very uncertain financial future.
Devine caught the eye as Wigan beat Tottenham in the FA Youth Cup.
Jude Bellingham has now completed his Borussia Dortmund medical and will return to Birmingham ahead of this weekend’s game against Preston, report Sky Sports.
Birmingham will reportedly receive an initial £25million alongside “several millions more” depending on “appearances, achievements and milestones”.
The 17-year-old had attracted plenty of interest around Europe, with Chelsea, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Manchester United all interest.
Despite not yet signing a professional contract with Birmingham, its Dortmund who have won the race.
Can’t see the Transfer news LIVE blog? Click here to access our desktop page.
When does the 2020 summer transfer window open?
Premier League clubs have agreed on the revised start and finish dates of this summer’s transfer window.
The window will open for 10 weeks at the end of the current Premier League season, starting 27 July and ending 5 October.
Following consultation with the EFL, a domestic-only window will be added from 5 October, closing 5pm on 16 October. During this window, Premier League clubs will only be able to trade with EFL clubs (either loans or permanent registrations). No transfers can take place between Premier League clubs in this period.
The transfer window is subject to the approval of Fifa.