The window officially opened last week after the completion of the delayed 2019-2020 Premier League season. Premier League clubs will now be busy tweaking their squads ahead of the new campaign, with the window scheduled to close on October 5.
Chelsea have already brought in the likes of Hakim Ziyech and Timo Werner, stealing a march on their rivals, while the likes of Manchester United and Man City are making early progress on significant deals.
Arsenal and Tottenham can now offer European football to their targets, with the Gunners set to sign Willian on a free transfer and hoping Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang signs a new contract, while Tottenham will complete a deal for Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in the coming days .
MAN UTD NEWS
Manchester United youngster Tahith Chong looks to be heading to the Bundesliga, reportedly on a two-year loan deal.
His agent, Erkan Alkan, told German publication Bild: “Tahith wants to go to the Bundesliga. We will talk about that with Manchester United on Thursday.”
One to keep an eye on.
Liverpool target Jamal Lewis has “all the attributes” to shine at Anfield, according to his Northern Ireland coach Ian Baraclough.
Standard Sport understands that Jurgen Klopp is in the market for back-up to Andy Robertson, with Lewis catching the eye of scouts despite Norwich City’s relegation.
Liverpool are willing to pay up to £10million for Lewis, though the Canaries reportedly want far more. Norwich’s interest in Reds academy defender Yasser Larouci could come into play.
Baraclough says Lewis has the self-belief and drive to be a success at the newly crowned Premier League champions, telling reporters: “He’s got all the attributes, he’s a level-headed kid and he’s one that wants to improve.
“You’ll find him in the gym before training and after training and he’s probably one of those kids, having worked with him for a little bit of time, you have to keep the reins on a bit so he doesn’t do too much.
“He wants to question you about how he can improve and I love players like that. I love players who invest time in themselves and don’t just settle for what they’ve got.”
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
Grealish set for pay rise
Aston Villa will offer their captain Jack Grealish a bumper pay rise as they look to keep their star man from the clutches of Manchester United.
As reported by Standard Sport, Man United are interested in signing Grealish to bolster their midfield options after the 24-year-old played a huge role in keeping Villa in the Premier League this season.
And The Sun reports that Villa are willing to increase his salary from £70,000-a-week to £100,000-a-week to keep him at the club.
WEST HAM NEWS
West Ham boss David Moyes says there have been no bids for Declan Rice, who has been linked with a move to Chelsea.
“We don’t want any,” said Moyes, who revealed in an interview with Standard Sport that keeping West Ham up this season has been one of his toughest tests in management.
“There’s always the chance of interest but we don’t want to encourage it.”
Bellerin and Lacazette could both leave Arsenal
While Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has been assured Arsenal will spend this summer, they will undoubtedly have to sell players in order to fund any acquisitions.
And according to The Telegraph, Arsenal will listen to offers for both Hector Bellerin and Alexandre Lacazette, while Matteo Guendouzi will also be allowed to leave.
Bellerin – who has spent nine years at Arsenal – reportedly is keen on the idea of a new challenge.
Francis Cagigao – the scout who helped bring Bellerin to England from Barcelona – is reportedly one of the 55 Arsenal staff members to be made redundant.
Not quite the steal we first thought?
According to Football Insider, Tottenham have committed to spending around £45m on Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg over the length of his five-year contract. In addition to the £15m transfer fee, he will also earn around £100,000 a week and pocket a healthy signing-on bonus.
Still, with Southampton demanding £35m for the fee a month ago and Everton willing to pay £25m a few weeks ago, Daniel Levy has worked his magic somewhat.
MAN UTD NEWS
Man Utd were interested in Ake
Manchester United were hoping to sign Nathan Ake this summer, before rivals Manchester City stole a march on the deal, report Sky Sports.
The defender sealed a £41million move to City on Wednesday, with United now searching for another left-footed centre-back.
With Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s attention on Jadon Sancho, United reportedly had to sell before placing a bid for Ake.
And with attempts to sell Marcus Rojo falling flat, they were unable to prevent Ake from signing for City.
MAN UTD NEWS
Everton interested in Man United’s Dalot
Carlo Ancelotti is interested in bringing Manchester United full-back Diogo Dalot to Goodison Park this summer, claim the Daily Star.
The report states Dalot – who has struggled for game-time under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer – could be offloaded this summer to raise funds for any incomings.
The 21-year-old – who was signed by Jose Mourinho back in 2018 – is behind Aaron Wan-Bissaka in the pecking order, and would likely find a similar situation at Everton.
However, with Seamus Coleman now 31, Ancelotti reportedly believes the club need to find a long-term replacement,
And the veteran manager believes Everton could secure Dalot for just £10million.
Bale’s request to be left out explained
Gareth Bale did, in fact, ask manager Zinedine Zidane to be left out of their Champions League squad to face Manchester City on Friday.
However, while Zidane, speaking in his pre-match press conference, simply stated the Welshman “prefered not the play”, he stopped short of explaining why.
Standard Sport understands Bale did ask to be left out of the travelling squad, but only because he has been ostracised in recent weeks and knew he would not play in Manchester.
Since lockdown, the former Tottenham attacker has played just 100 minutes across two appearances (one start) and did not feature in any of the final seven league games.
His request to be left in Madrid was not because he did not want to play, therefore, but in order to avoid a further 90 minutes watching from the sidelines when he knows his coach has no intention of using him.
Click here for the full story.
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
Leeds United want Benrahma
Leeds United are the latest club to be linked with a move for Brentford star Said Benrahma.
Lazio confident of signing Silva
Lazio are growing ever more confident they will sign free agent David Silva this summer, report Sky in Italy.
The Spaniard’s 10-year stay at City will come to an end following their Champions League campaign, having already played his final game domestically.
And while negotiations were initially proving difficult, the report states Lazio believe they are coming towards a breakthrough.
Silva holds the record for the player with the most Premier League appearances, wins and assists for City.
His final game in blue could come on Friday when City welcome Real Madrid to the Etihad in their Champions League last 16 quarter-final second leg.
Hojbjerg to join Tottenham this weekend
Southampton midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg will complete his move to Tottenham this weekend, with Kyle Walker-Peters heading the other way.
Both deals have been kept separate but fees of £15million for the Dane and £12m for the English defender have been agreed.
Hojbjerg will now discuss personal terms with Tottenham, which is expected to be a formality given the player’s desire to join Jose Mourinho’s team.
Mourinho has been an admirer of Hojbjerg for some months, with Spurs registering tentative interest in the 25-year-old during the January transfer window.
The Spurs boss is keen to bring in a more combative midfielder to allow his creative talents to flourish further forward, while Hojbjerg has been outspoken about his desire to play at a higher level.
Havertz coping with Chelsea speculation
Kai Havertz is coping well with the pressure of links to Chelsea, reveals Bayer Leverkusen boss Peter Bosz.
The youngster is understood to have told the German club of his desire to join the Blues, who believe they can agree a deal of around £70million.
“We are watching all this closely,” Bosz told DAZN and Goal. “Of 20 interview requests 18 want to speak with Kai. Then we must make sure he doesn’t go 18 times.
“He is an exceptional player, but even exceptional players can have a bad day. If we lose, he is always the first to be criticized, even if he didn’t play that badly.
Click here to read the full story.
Willian signs for Arsenal
Willian is said to have agreed a three-year deal worth £100,000 a week to join Arsenal.
As reported by Standard Sport this week, Arsenal were in the driving seat to sign the Brazil international on a free transfer with Chelsea only willing to extend his stay at Stamford Bridge by a further two years.
And now ESPN reports that a deal between Willian and Arsenal has been agreed.
Aubameyang to stay at Arsenal
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is set to sign a new three-year contract with Arsenal.
Mkhitaryan ‘very happy’ to stay with Roma
Henrick Mkhitaryan has revealed is “very happy” with the agreement in place that will see him stay with Roma for the 2020-21 season.
The 31-year-old enjoyed a successful debut season in the Serie A, scoring nine goals and providing six assists in 29 league appearances.
Mkhitaryan was due to return to Arsenal in June, but extended his one-year loan deal until the end of the season – which was prolonged due to the enforced break caused by the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic.
Roma chief executive Guido Fienga then insisted he hoped Mkhitaryan would remain a Roma player “for a long time”, and the midfielder has now revealed he’s “very happy” with the further extension, insisting he feels settled in Italy’s top tier.
“In my opinion, I had a good season, despite the two injuries I had,” Mkhitaryan told UEFA’s official website. “I am in good shape right now, and I hope to keep everything this way.
“We have already reached an agreement with Roma for me to play for the club for another year, until summer 2021, which I am very happy about. I have felt at home since day one – in my football, on the pitch and off it.”
MAN CITY NEWS
Alaba urged not to leave Bayern
Former Ex-Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness believes any move away from the German champions would represent a step down for David Alaba.
Manchester City are among a number of clubs linked with the defender of late, with just 12 months remaining on his contract.
Former City star Leroy Sane has urged Alaba to stay at Bayern, while Chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge recently insisted he’s confident of the Austrian’s stay.
“I can only say from my own experience that the last million is not that important,” he told DAZN and Goal. “He gets a secure job here, a lot of fun, home, a lot of love from the fans and acceptance, which he would have to work for at another club.
“There is no club that is as familiar, cosy and pleasant as FC Bayern. For him it would perhaps be a step forward financially, but in all other areas it would be a step backwards.
“And according to my feeling, at least the clubs he would like to go to have never knocked, fortunately. And that’s why I hope that he will stay.”
Arsenal put Maitland-Niles up for sale
Arsenal have placed Ainsley Maitland-Niles on their transfer list, according to The Mirror, despite recently talking of his desire at the club.
The 22-year-old has three years remaining on his contract and was buoyed after playing a starring role in Arsenal’s FA Cup triumph over Chelsea.
The Mirror report the versatile youngster is highly rated by Mikel Arteta, but claim the club are open to his sale.
Everton and Brighton are said to be interested in the Englishman, but Tottenham are also looking for a right-back with Serge Aurier closing in on an exit.
Of course, a move to Arsenal’s north London rivals would be somewhat of a shock, however.
Gerrard: Morelos’ head has been turned
Rangers boss Steven Gerrard admits Alfredo Morelos has had his head turned amid links to Lille.
The forward is believed to have agreed terms with the French club, who have not yet come back with another offer after their initial £13million bid was knocked back last month.
Morelos was substituted off as Rangers fell to a 4-1 aggregate defeat to Bayer Leverkusen on Thursday.
And asked if Morelos will still be a Rangers player next week, Gerrard told “I don’t know because I can’t control what goes on outside.
“Everyone knows he’s had his head turned, for sure. There’s no denying that. We just move forward. My focus is on the team and the players who want to be here. My focus is certainly now on St Mirren.
“If a bid comes, and I’ll say it again, that the board like and are interested in and the player tells me face-to-face that he wants to go, then we’ll see what happens.”
Bale ‘preferred not to play’ vs City
Zinedine Zidane has revealed Gareth Bale did not want to play in Real Madrid’s Champions League tie against Manchester City.
The Welshman was left out of Los Blancos’ 24-man squad for the trip to Manchester, with the Spanish club looking to overturn a 2-1 deficit.
Asked about Bale’s absence in the pre-match press conference on Thursday, Zidane said: “I’ll explain. Many things have been said. We have a respectful coach-player relationship, that’s clear.
“The only thing I can say is that he preferred not to play. Nothing more. The rest is between him and me.”
Asked again about the Welshman moments later, he said: “I have already responded. Nothing more.
“The rest is a conversation between the player and the coach which I’m not going to tell.”
Can’t see the Transfer news LIVE blog? Click here to access our desktop page.
When does the 2020 summer transfer window close?
The window is now open for 10 weeks from July 27.
Following consultation with the EFL, a domestic-only window will be added from 5 October, closing 5pm on 16 October. During this window, Premier League clubs will only be able to trade with EFL clubs (either loans or permanent registrations). No transfers can take place between Premier League clubs in this period.
Chelsea will push ahead with moves for Bayer Leverkusen star Kai Havertz and remain interested in Leicester City’s Ben Chilwell, while Manchester United are also expected to be busy this summer.
Jadon Sancho remains Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s number one target, and a deal should be completed if Man United can negotiate a compromise on the £100m-plus valuation Dortmund has for the England international.