Time is running out for Premier League sides to make changes to their squad for the 2020-21 season.
So far, Chelsea have put the rest to shame with eight new additions while Tottenham have made a statement of intent of their own in re-signing Gareth Bale – with Sergio Reguilon also arriving from Real Madrid.
Champions Liverpool have bolstered in the form of Thiago Alcantara and Diogo Jota – but it remains quiet at Old Trafford where Manchester United’s sole signing has been Donny can de Beek.
Arsenal have also been busy, and are targeting Lyon captain Houssem Aouar in what could be a dramatic finish to the transfer window.
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
Leeds prepare Cantwell bid
Leeds are preparing to make a bid for Norwich midfielder Todd Cantwell, according to Football Insider.
Cantwell was relegated with Norwich last season, but could be offered a swift Premier League return with new boys Leeds.
The midfielder was a standout player in a struggling Norwich side last season.
Bale explains his Spurs position
Tottenham signing Gareth Bale has explained what position he’ll be looking to play in his new team.
“Anywhere across the front,” he told Sky Sports. “I’m comfortable on the right where l have played most of my career, behind the striker where l have played a lot, and I’ve played on the left a lot.”
Bale’s versatility will provide Spurs with a huge boost, with Lucas Moura on the right-flank perhaps the weak link in their attack.
However, with no back-up to Harry Kane yet acquired, it’s another role Bale could fulfill.
No Tottenham progress over Milik
Tottenham have made no progress in their bid to sign Arkadiusz Milik.
Italian radio station Kiss Kiss Napoli’s Radio Goal claim Spurs are yet to make decisive move for the striker although their is concrete interest in bringing him to north London.
Might a centre-half be a more pressing priority for Jose Mourinho?
CRYSTAL PALACE NEWS
Brewster shocked by transfer decision, wants Palace
Rhian Brewster has set his sights on a move to Crystal Palace, according to the Sun on Sunday.
The 20-year-old has been strongly linked with moves to the Eagles, Sheffield United and Aston Villa and is said to be stunned that Jurgen Klopp is ready to sell him.
And if he is to leave, the report suggests Brewster favours a move to south London.
Tottenham make new Skriniar offer
Tottenham have made an offer of £36.5m for Milan Skriniar that includes an obligation to buy, according to latest reports.
Inter have reportedly lowered their demands for the defender with Antonio Conte admitting on Saturday the club may have to cash in.
MAN CITY NEWS
Otamendi set to join Benfica
While Dias is on his way to City, Jorge Jesus also effectively confirmed Nicolas Otamendi is set to arrive as a ready-made replacement.
“Otamendi is a Manchester City defender who could be involved in the transfer. He already showed his ability at FC Porto, he plays for Argentina and has been a regular starter most years at Manchester City.
“He has stopped starting now and if it hadn’t been for that, maybe he wouldn’t have been included in this possible transfer. Of course, he’s a player we’d like to have.
“The player who joins us will have to be understand that my ideas are completely different from those at Manchester City.”
MAN CITY NEWS
Dias to Man City close
Ruben Dias is set to sign a five-year contract with Manchester City with Benfica Jorge Jesus admitting the defender has probably played his last game for the club.
Dias captained Benfica against Moreirense on Saturday and scored the opening goal of a 2-0 victory.
“I’m pretty sure it was his last game, but sometimes everything changes at the last second in football,” the Benfica boss said. “I don’t think that’s going to happen, though.
“He’s a player we’re sorry to see go, he came through the academy, is our captain and plays for the national team… I also take some of the blame for him leaving today.
“This is all to do with getting knocked out of the Champions League and there are things that need to be balanced (financially) at management level. He has a high market value and is certainly already a fantastic player who will continue to improve.
Arsenal’s new offer for Aouar
Having seen that opening bid knocked back, Arsenal are said to be preparing a significantly improved offer for Houssem Aouar.
Arsenal are ready to up the ante and football.london report the Gunners are now ready to offer £36.5m up front with a further £9m in add-ons.
Will it be enough to tempt Lyon into doing business?
Lyon demand £50m for Aouar
Reports in France on Friday night claimed Arsenal had launched an opening offer to sign Houssem Aouar from Lyon.
That offer, said to be worth €36m, fell someway short of Lyon’s valuation however with RMC Sport reporting the Ligue 1 side are still demanding €50m.
RMC Sport’s Mohamed Bouhafsi has also shot down claims Arsenal have already agreed terms with the midfielder.
WEST HAM NEWS
Rudiger to West Ham?
There could be another strand to the Rice to Chelsea story.
The Sun also report West Ham hope to sign Antonio Rudiger on loan from Chelsea.
The Germany international appears to have fallen out of favour at Stamford Bridge and the Hammers are hopeful of tempting him across the capital.
Chelsea to launch Rice bid
Chelsea firmly believe they can sign Declan Rice from West Ham before next month’s transfer deadline and will be £40m+ for the England international.
The Hammers have been insistent Rice is not for sale but the Sun on Sunday report the Blues will launch a formal bid before the October 5 deadline.
Chelsea are said to be confident of tempting West Ham into doing business, believing their east London rivals are desperate for cash.
Conte: Inter may consider Skriniar sale
Inter Milan boss Antonio Conte has been speaking to Sky in Italy about Tottenham’s interest in Milan Skriniar after tonight’s 4-3 win over Fiorentina, and has offered a little more reason to be optimistic for Spurs fans.
“Skriniar to Tottenham?,” Conte said. “He’s part of our project here at Inter. But I don’t know if an important bid will arrive in the coming days… it’s possible that the club will consider it because of the financial situation.”
Torino rule out Torreira move
Serie A side Torino are seemingly out of the race to sign Arsenal midfielder Lucas Torreira.
The Uruguayan has been heavily linked with a return to the Italian top flight, though there is also strong interest from his preferred destination, Atletico Madrid.
“Torreira is a top player but his price is too high,” said Torino director Davide Vagnati. “It’s difficult to sign him from Arsenal, not just for us.”
Inter rule out Kante move
Earlier on we heard from Inter Milan’s sporting director Piero Ausilio on Tottenham’s interest in Milan Skriniar.
Well he also addressed Inter Milan’s reported pursuit of N’Golo Kante, and pretty much put the talk to bed.
“Kante is an important part of Chelsea, I don’t think he will be up for sale,” the director said.
“We have eight important central midfielders, we will begin and move forward with them.”
Blades considering Sturridge move?
The Mail say Sheffield United are considering a move for Daniel Sturridge as they are kept waiting in their pursuit of Liverpool youngster Rhian Brewster.
Former Liverpool and Chelsea man Sturridge has been a free agent since leaving Turkish side Trabzonspor in March, when he was handed a four-month ban for breaching betting rules.
MAN CITY NEWS
Dias’ final Benfica game?
Benfica defender Ruben Dias looks to have all-but confirmed his imminent move to Manchester City after scoring in his side’s 2-0 win over Moreinense tonight.
“This was a special moment for me & I think everyone understands why,” he told Benfica TV, with reports suggesting the deal will be wrapped up in the coming days, with Nicolas Otamendi potentially heading in the opposite direction.
Thiago Silva’s Premier League debut did not exactly go to plan tonight.
The Brazilian was handed a first league start and the captain’s armband for Chelsea’s trip to West Brom but made a horrendous first-half error as the Baggies raced into a 3-0 first-half lead and was eventually sacrificed for Olivier Giroud as the Blues pushed to rescue a point late on.
Spurs interest in Skriniar confirmed
Inter Milan’s sporting director Piero Ausilio has confirmed Tottenham are interested in signing Milan Skriniar.
Ausilio has also confirmed they have held talks with Tottenham over a potential deal, revealing they told the London club they’re not interested in selling the defender.
“Tottenham are interested in Milan Skriniar. We had a meeting but we told them we don’t want to sell also Skriniar after Diego Godin,” Ausilio said, as per Fabrizio Romano.
Arsenal preparing second Aouar bid
In yet more news surround the Lyon playmaker, Football.London are reporting Arsenal are preparing a second bid for Houssem Aouar.
After their initial approach was rejected, Arsenal are reportedly ready to offer £36.5million for the midfielder.
According to RMC Sport, that would fall significantly short of the French club’s valuation.
Lyon to demand £46m for Aouar
RMC Sport are reporting Lyon will demand €50 million (£46m) for Houssem Aouar this window.
Arsenal are interested in signing the playmaker, but while L’Equipe have reported they’ve agreed personal terms with Aouar, they’re yet to agree a deal with Lyon.
Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas earlier today took to Twitter to confirm Arsenal are “nowhere near” a deal.
Can’t see the transfer news LIVE blog? Click here for the desktop version.
When does the 2020 summer transfer window close?
The window is now open for 10 weeks from July 27.
Following consultation with the EFL, a domestic-only window will be added from 5 October, closing 5pm on 16 October.
During this window, Premier League clubs will only be able to trade with EFL clubs (either loans or permanent registrations). No transfers can take place between Premier League clubs in this period.