Time is running out for Premier League sides to make changes to their squad for the 2020-21 season, with just six days remaining in the window.
So far, Chelsea have put the rest to shame with eight new additions while Tottenham have made a statement of intent of their own in re-signing Gareth Bale – with Sergio Reguilon also arriving from Real Madrid.
Arsenal have also been busy, and are targeting Lyon captain Houssem Aouar and Thomas Partey in what could be a dramatic finish to the transfer window.
MAN UTD NEWS
Man United fire sale to fund Sancho move?
Manchester United will look to shift deadwood from their squad in the final week of the transfer window, presumably with the intention of using funds generated from these sales to get closer to Borussia Dortmund’s asking priced for Jadon Sancho.
The England international is the club’s No1 target this summer, but with Dortmund reluctant to sell, the Bundesliga club is holding out for a fee worth €120million.
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
Tottenham linked with Rudiger
Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger is being linked with a shock move to Tottenham.
Sky Sports reports that Spurs are interested in the Germany international with Inter Milan so far refusing to lower their asking price for Milan Skriniar.
Despite Rudiger being reportedly unsettled at Stamford Bridge, a move to Spurs would be huge shock with the London rivals notoriously reluctant to do business with one another.
There is also the personal situation between Rudiger and Totteham.
Rudiger felt like he was cast as a “liar” after he said was racially abused by Tottenham fans during a game last December.
No evidence was found to support his complaint and the German was then booed by Spurs supporters in the return fixture at Stamford Bridge in February.
Lyon set Arsenal new Aouar deadline
Lyon have stepped up their negotiating stance regarding Arsenal’s transfer pursuit of Houssem Aouar by declaring that any players who have not left the club by Friday will not be sold.
Standard Sport understands that Arsenal have been tracking Lyon captain Aouar and Atletico Madrid midfielder Thomas Partey all summer, though a move for the former is now more likely.
With a new midfielder a priority for Mikel Arteta, Arsenal failed last week with an opening offer for the 22-year-old, believed to be just over £30million.
However, Lyon are expecting the Gunners to return with a fresh approach and are understood to want closer to £50m – and the French club’s president, Jean-Michel Aulas, has a reputation as a tough negotiator.
Speaking to French TV on Monday, Aulas imposed a deadline on negotiations by telling Telefoot: “[On Friday], players who have not left will not leave.”
Aouar is regarded as one of the best young talents in Europe and Arsenal captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has backed the Gunners’ pursuit of him.
“Of course, of course, we are in favour of it,” he told French broadcast Canal+. “I’m not going to hide it – even if he’s a Lyon player.”
MAN UTD NEWS
Pereira agrees Lazio move
Back to Old Trafford for a moment, where a potential exodus of fringe players may be about to begin.
Transfer specialist Fabrizio Romano reports that Andreas Pereira’s proposed loan move to Lazio has now been agreed.
The season-long deal will include the option for the Serie A side to sign him permanently for a fee of €27m next summer, with United said to be splitting his wages with Lazio.
All that is left now is for Pereira to undergo a medical in Rome.
Arsenal need midfield upgrades
Standard Sport’s Simon Collings believes that Arsenal’s 2-1 defeat by Liverpool at Anfield tonight further highlighted their need for new midfield recruits amid links to the likes of Houssem Aouar and Thomas Partey…
This may arguably be the busiest season in history and this defeat highlighted how Mikel Arteta is working with limited resources in midfield.
The Spaniard has so far essentially been rotating Dani Ceballos, Granit Xhaka and Mohamed Elneny and that is simply not sustainable. The trio have proved themselves good enough to perform under Arteta, but this test against Liverpool showed how more options are needed.
It is perhaps then no surprise that Arsenal are chasing Atletico Madrid’s Thomas Partey and Lyon’s Houssem Aouar before Monday’s transfer deadline. They are two players who carry £50million price tags – and for good reason.
Both have the potential to transform Arsenal’s midfield and it is crucial the club bring one of them in. If Arteta wants to take this team to the next level, he needs to upgrade and have more options in midfield.
Without that, there is a limit to how far this Arsenal side can go.
MAN UTD NEWS
Keane provides Man United transfer warning
Roy Keane believes a lack of transfer investment during the final week of the extended summer window could prove disastrous for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s prospects as Manchester United boss.
With just seven days to go until the market shuts for business once more, United have still made just one senior signing in the form of Dutch midfielder Donny van de Beek, who arrived in a £35million deal from Ajax at the beginning of September.
The club’s long-running pursuits of Borussia Dortmund’s England forward Jadon Sancho and Porto left-back Alex Telles are well-documented, but it remains to be seen if any progress can be made with those deals ahead of the deadline with negotiations ongoing.
Click here to read the full story
MAN UTD NEWS
Man United make Telles bid
Manchester United fans will be very interested indeed in The Guardian’s latest update regarding their transfer dealings.
The Red Devils have signed only Dutch midfielder Donny van de Beek in a £35m deal from Ajax so far this summer, with high-profile sagas involving Jadon Sancho and Alex Telles dragging on.
The Guardian report on Monday night that United have now submitted an official bid for Porto left-back Telles and could also once again ramp up their pursuit of England forward Sancho before the window closes on October 5.
Scott Parker also had this update on potential Fulham incomings when talking to Sky Sports following that listless defeat to Aston Villa…
“It’s well documented that we are trying to bring people in, I’ve highlighted that and the club understand that,” he said.
“I’m a fighter, that’s the way it’s always been, and my team are.
“I didn’t see a team here who downed tools for one second, I saw a team with energy and always trying to get themselves back in the game.
“We just need to try and eradiate the mistakes, whether that is improving on the training ground or getting some help in from the transfer market.”
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
Khan opens up on Fulham transfer struggles
An apology and insight into Fulham’s struggles to recruit the necessary defensive reinforcements following their promotion on social media from the club’s vice-chairman, director of football operations, general manager and sporting director Tony Khan.
Tweeting on Monday night after Fulham’s grim 3-0 home defeat by Aston Villa, which means they have now conceded 10 goals in three straight losses since returning to the Premier League, he said: “I apologize to Fulham supporters for our performance tonight.
“We’ve looked to add centre-backs since Wembley, I’m sorry we haven’t yet as 2 got COVID + we lost a Free we thought was close + had another issue with a 4th CB. I promise players in + better efforts from this squad.
“I should + will apologize repeatedly for that performance. I’m sorry everybody. We all need to do a better job. Everyone at the club for the past year worked really hard to get the team up, & now we need to work significantly harder to stay up. I promise better efforts than today.”
Watford have announced Roberto Pereyra has left the club to rejoin Udinese.
The 29-year-old handed in a transfer request after the club were relegated to the Championship and has now completed a move back to Udinese for a second spell.
MAN UTD NEWS
Lazio are moving closer to sealing the signing of Andreas Pereira from Manchester United, their sporting director has confirmed.
The Brazilian has found his first-team action limited following the arrival of Bruno Fernandes from Sporting Lisbon and the 24-year-old looks to be heading for the Old Trafford exit.
The Biancocelesti’s sporting director, Igli Tare, revealed the deal was all but finalised and should go through later this week.
“We expect Andreas Pereira deal to be completed on next 2/3 days with Man United.” Tare told
Marcos Alonso could be on his way out of Chelsea after head coach Frank Lampard read him the riot act following the 3-3 draw with West Brom.
The full-back was at fault for two of the three goals conceded in the first half at the Hawthorns and was hooked at the interval, with Cesar Azpilicueta coming on in his place.
The Athletic claim the Spaniard went to watch the second half on the team bus, rather than joining the substitutes’ bench, and incurred the wrath of Lampard in front his Chelsea colleagues.
Alonso, 30, has been linked with a move back to LaLiga and has also caught the eye of former boss Antonio Conte at Inter Milan.
Arsenal are continuing to monitor Amadou Diawara as a potential alternative to Thomas Partey, reports in Italy say.
Gunners boss Mikel Arteta is keen to add a central midfielder to his squad before the deadline closes on October 5 and has targeted Partey and Lyon’s Houssem Aouar.
Calciomercato report that the north London side are keen on Diawara, 23, although his club AS Roma’s asking price said to be too high at £27m.
Kylian Mbappe could be available to sign for just £91 million if he does not sign a new contract with Paris Saint-Germain.
The 21-year-old’s current deal expires in 2022 and it is believed the World Cup winner could seek a move away from the Parc des Princes.
Real Madrid are the frontrunners to sign Mbappe should he leave PSG but according to L’Equipe, Liverpool are in ‘constant contact’ over a potential deal for Mbappe.
At £91m, the French star may just be outside of the Reds’ spending bracket however, and that could give Real the advantage.
James Robson | Manchester correspondent
Man City have been monitoring Dias for more than two years – dating back to Vincent Kompany’s time at the club.
He was identified as a replacement for the legendary captain last summer when his release clause was £60million. He went on to sign a new deal, which increased that buyout to £80million.
With Nicolas Otamendi heading the opposite way for £13.7million, City are convinced it represents good value for what they consider to be one of the most promising talents in Europe.
Koulibaly had been a leading target, but City walked away when refusing to meet Napoli’s valuation of more than £70million for a 29-year-old.
It’s understood Kounde was considered more of a gamble than Dias, while they had no intention of meeting Atletico Madrid’s asking price of £78million for Gimenez.
MAN CITY NEWS
James Robson | Manchester correspondent
Manchester City will end their two-year pursuit of Ruben Dias after agreeing a club record £64.3million deal for the Benfica centre-back.
Pep Guardiola has won the race for the 23-year-old, who was previously a target for Manchester United, Arsenal and Juventus.
City’s manager turned to Dias after dropping interest in Kalidou Koulibaly, Jules Kounde and Jose Gimenez.
He overtakes £62.8m Rodri as the club’s most expensive signing ever – and takes Guardiola’s spending on centre backs during this window to more than £100m after the £41m arrival of Nathan Ake.
Fulham may be forced to abort plans to sign defender Marlon from Sassuolo after he reportedly failed a medical.
The Cottagers have agreed a deal worth £14.1m with 50 per cent of the fee going to Barcelona and the other half going to the Serie A outfit.
But according to The Athletic, the 25-year-old may not be moving to west London at all after some issues were found during his medical.
Chelsea midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek could be offered a way out of the club with Aston Villa eyeing a loan deal.
The midfielder has struggled to rediscover the form he showed in the 2018/19 season, where he scored 10 goals in all competitions, following a serious Achilles injury.
The 24-year-old may seek regular football elsewhere as he continues his comeback and Sky Sports believe Villa, along with Southampton and West Ham, want to bring in the England international on a temporary deal.
Southampton are reportedly keen on a loan deal for Tottenham full-back Ryan Sessegnon.
The 20-year-old has barely featured under Jose Mourinho despite making a £25m move from Fulham in 2019.
According to The Telegraph, the South Coast outfit hold a long-standing interest in the England Under-21 international and are keen to offer the youngster some regular football.
Aubameyang reveals Arteta factor in stay
Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang has revealed the impact Mikel Arteta had on his decision to stay at Arsenal.
The Gabon international ended months of talk speculating his exit earlier in the month when he signed a new big-money three-year deal.
Two things persuaded me to stay,” he told Sky Sports. “The first thing was Mikel Arteta, because since he came in he brings a lot of positivity and a new philosophy for us.
“I think that was important because it matched my game and I feel that I can improve with him. I think this was the key factor and as well, the love that I receive from the fans and the whole club.”
Can’t see the Transfer news LIVE! blog? Click here to access our desktop page.
When does the 2020 summer transfer window close?
The window is now open for 10 weeks from July 27.
Following consultation with the EFL, a domestic-only window will be added from 5 October, closing 5pm on 16 October.
During this window, Premier League clubs will only be able to trade with EFL clubs (either loans or permanent registrations). No transfers can take place between Premier League clubs in this period.