Manchester United’s Under-23s have been promoted to the Premier League 2, it has been confirmed.
The Premier League announced on Friday that United’s youngsters will go up alongside West Ham United after they were second in their division when coronavirus struck.
The league was put on hold in March and then permanently cancelled because of the pandemic. United’s final game before the shutdown with a 3-2 victory at Stoke, which put them second in the league on 43 points from 17 games.
The final standings were ultimately determined based on a points per game calculation and it means Neil Wood’s side will compete in the top tier of Under-23 football in the 2020/21 campaign. That means they will take on the best youngsters from Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea and others next season. James Garner, Dylan Levitt and Teden Mengi were among those to impress on an individual level.
No official decision has yet been made on the start of the new Under-23 season, though it is anticipated to commence on September 12th in line with the new Premier League first team campaign.
Boss Wood told MEN Sport earlier this year how promotion would be vindication for the work the United youngsters have put in over the past season.
He said: “I think it would benefit the club, it would benefit the 23s players to play against the likes of Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham and those teams.
“I think the season as a whole has been quite successful. The experience of the season has been really good for them. Some of the lads made their debuts out in Astana with the first team and that was excellent, we were really proud of that as a club.”