Mon. Nov 30th, 2020

Man Utd

News

Manchester United morning headlines as Sancho and Romero updates given

3 min read

Here are your Manchester United morning headlines for Wednesday, 28 October:

Solskjaer sends summer signing message over United role

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has reiterated Donny van de Beek has a major role to play at Manchester United despite barely featuring for his new side over the early part of the season so far.

The Dutch midfielder, who arrived at Old Trafford from Ajax in the summer transfer window, has yet to start a Premier League match, prompting some United fans to question why he was signed in the first place.

However, Solskjaer says Van de Beek will feature more prominently for the Reds soon enough, highlighting the number of fixtures his team will have to play over the season.

“It’s going to be a long season and, of course, the depth of our squad is better now and to leave players out like the last game, Donny, Nemanja [Matic] and Paul [Pogba] started on the bench, they are all experienced international footballers,” the Norwegian said .

“And it’s not easy but we have so many games this season and they all are going to play a big, massive part in different parts of the season.”


Video Loading

Out-of-favour goalkeeper holds talks over future

Sergio Romero has held talks with United over his future at the club after the Argentinean goalkeeper failed to secure a transfer in the summer window.

The 33-year-old returned to United’s Carrington training complex this week and is training alone after being left out of the club’s Premier League and Champions League squads for the 2020/21 season.

MEN Sport understands discussions took place between Romero, his agent, Kristian Bereit, and figures from Manchester United to work out a short-term solution, with the transfer window now closed until January.

Romero is into the final year of his contract at Old Trafford and had hoped to depart United before deadline day after it was made clear he would be behind David de Gea and Dean Henderson in the goalkeeping pecking order this season.

Dortmund boss pins blames United interest for Sancho’s poor form

Borussia Dortmund manager Lucien Favre has pinned the blame for Jadon Sancho’s disappointing start to the season on United’s summer interest in the player.

Sign up to our free MUFC email newsletter



Get the latest breaking Manchester United transfer news and analysis every day direct to your inbox with our free MUFC newsletter

Sign up here – it only takes a few seconds.

The 20-year-old was the subject of much transfer speculation over the summer, with Solskjaer making Sancho his number one target. A transfer failed to materialise, though, and Sancho remained in Germany.

Now, Sancho is goalless in his first four appearances of the 2020/21 season and Favre has hinted some of the blame for those performances lies with what happened over the summer.

“Every player has slow periods,” he said . “There was a lot of talk about Jadon during the summer – something like that can be a factor. No player is consistently in top form for an entire year, that’s impossible. You have to accept that.”

Copyright © All rights reserved. | Newsphere by AF themes.