Here are the latest Manchester United evening headlines for Thursday August 6.
Why Diogo Dalot was not in Manchester United squad vs LASK
Diogo Dalot has endured a difficult season at Old Trafford and was absent from Manchester United‘s squad against LASK on Wednesday due to injury, the MEN revealed.
Dalot, 21, is said to have suffered another setback on the comeback trail and has been absent from training over the last week.
The Portuguese defender was present at Carrington on Tuesday and arrived early on Wednesday morning for treatment, along with teammate Luke Shaw.
Dalot has been restricted to just one Premier League start this season and was last involved in the first team in mid-February having been included in just two of the last 12 matchday squads.
The former FC Porto youngster has also had to contend with the arrival of Aaron Wan-Bissaka from Crystal Palace, with the England youth international Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s preferred first choice.
Inter Milan boss Antonio Conte explains Alexis Sanchez transfer from Manchester United
Antonio Conte has gone into detail about the ‘conditions’ surrounding Alexis Sanchez’s move to Inter Milan from Manchester United, and why it was a no-brainer for the Italian side.
Inter confirmed Sanchez’s arrival on a permanent deal on Thursday after a similar confirmation from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. He has agreed a deal until 2023 at the San Siro.
He will join former United favourites Romelu Lukaku and Ashley Young in Milan, with Solskjaer having little to say about his departure.
“Alexis enjoyed his time there, they liked him, so of course that’s a good move for him, wish him all the best, he’s a top player, you want to see players perform,” he said.
Conte was asked about the attacker in the wake of Inter’s 2-0 over Getafe in the Europa League, and said he felt it was a good deal for the club.
“I think the Sanchez transfer is a very good move by the club,” Conte told Sky Italia. “Considering the conditions in which we managed to get Alexis, it was a really good transfer.
“The club deserve credit because he came at the worst moment of his career. He arrived after two difficult years when he was really struggling at United and then got injured with us.
“We took the time to get him back on track, so it is only right for Inter to enjoy it and reap the rewards of that effort.”
Solskjaer not ruling out goalkeeper change
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is keeping his options open when it comes to his choice of goalkeeper in the Europa League.
Argentine international Sergio Romero earned a start during the round-of-16 second leg win over LASK Linz. The competition has been a source of game time for Romero, with Wednesday’s game his eighth start in the competition this season.
De Gea, meanwhile, has endured a tough season but remained unchallenged in the Premier League, but Solskjaer was unwilling to define the two goalkeepers as being only available for specific competitions.
“He’s played well tonight, definitely,” Solskjaer said. “I’m not going to say Sergio is the Europa League keeper, it’s between him and David all the time.
“We’re going to pick a team that we think is gonna win this tournament, so you’ll just have to wait and see.”
You can read more of his thoughts on the game here.