MEN Sport reported on Tuesday that United are prepared to walk away from a deal for the England international and have not agreed personal terms with Sancho’s representatives or a fee with Dortmund, who are believed to be holding out for £108million.
Senior United sources believe Dortmund’s self-imposed deadline of August 10 is ‘meaningless’ and described it as ‘artificial’ since the summer transfer window actually closes on October 5.
Contrasting reports suggested United had already agreed personal terms with Sancho over an imminent move to Old Trafford, but now Watzke has dispelled those claims by revealing there has been no contact between the two clubs.
“So far, there has been no contact between Borussia Dortmund and Manchester United in terms of Sancho,” he told Süddeutsche Zeitung.
“Also not indirectly or through alleged intermediaries.”
The 20-year-old winger returned to training with Dortmund earlier this week and when asked for the latest regarding Sancho, Watzke reiterated his confidence of retaining their star player.
He added: “I assume that Jadon will go to the training camp on Monday and play with us for the coming season.”
United are conscious of Sancho’s wage expectations following the fallout from Alexis Sanchez’s salary – which caused friction in the squad – and are adamant the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic is ‘very real’.
Anthony Martial and Paul Pogba are understood to have felt resentment towards Sanchez’s £400,000-a-week net wages and Pogba has not signed an improved contract since he joined United for a world record £89m in 2016.
A United source said ‘high wages are not good for the dressing room’ morale and manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants to maintain a harmonious environment with or without Sancho. United are in the process of selling Sanchez permanently to Inter Milan.